Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not enough water yet

I know the book says, 1.6 bony,but the gauge changed a while back you need at least 1.90. It can be run down to 1.85 but it is not that much fun........Best levels are 2.0 up to 2.3, higer than that you better know where you are going because there is not much stopping. Won't take much warm weather and it will be fine. No wood was seen walking it last week......

·
River Gypsy
255 Posts
does anyone know when the gauge changed?

I ran Vallecito in '99 at 2.2' and 2.0'.

Was back in '03 and ran it at 1.8', which seemed WAY lower than 2.0' did in '99.

Was the change between those two dates, or since '03?

How's the snow down there? are we looking at early June for summer runs, or will it be the second half of June?

Thanks-

Leland

·
Registered
43 Posts
When did the gauge change, I ran it last summer at 1.95 and it wasn't bony but wasn't pushy, was that on the new gauge or the old one? Is this the gauge that's close to the trailhead?

·
Registered
374 Posts
It washed with high water last summer.

I shoot for 2.2 for bunny to be in.

It might be easier to lose this old school gauge reading. CFS is more precise and who drives up without looking at flows first?

I believe 2.2 is around 280 to 300 CFS.

My .02

Steve.

·
River Gypsy
255 Posts
sward said:
It might be easier to lose this old school gauge reading. CFS is more precise and who drives up without looking at flows first?
uhhh...those of us who don't live anywhere around there and have no internet access when we're there? cfs serves the locals pretty well, but with the fluctuations throughout the day, anyone with more than an hour's drive will want to know what the gauge is doing when they arrive.

Leland

·
Registered
374 Posts
Uhh... if you're driving form the EC than you probably will make sure V is in the safe zone before planning on it,
but, point taken though, I guess it does make sense to know the correlation either way. When it does reach the high end, a little difference in the gauge is a big difference in flow.

I take back my .02

Steve.

·
River Gypsy
255 Posts
yup. I've spent a few days in campground in a row, and there's no way to know what the water is doing other than to look at the stick. I've been there when it was cycling between 2.2 and 3'+ depending on the time of day and night, and we defintely wanted to make sure we caught it at the low point of that cycle.

any thoughts on what part of June will likely be best for catching it this year? no offense guys, but I'm praying you have an icy-cold May.

Leland

·
Registered
882 Posts
Leland - you can check the flow on a cell phone with Watertalk, same deal as Tuxedo. (303) 831-7135 then 7, 30 for Vallecito.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ran it last Sept at around 2.0 or 300 cfs, and everything was good to go, including Fuzzy Bunny. New gage? old gage? too much confusion; 300 is pretty padded out. I'm with Sward on this one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts