Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the guage is moving up about .1' per day, which would mean it's probably runnable by the weekend- provided they're no ice bridges or nasty logs stuck in the mix. Can anybody hike up to check the condition of the trail / creekbed?

·
Registered
112 Posts
looks like it's at 1.6 which i think is the min.

anyone got beta on this level? difficulty? is it a solid V or not?

is everything runnable? any hazards to be concerned about?

thanks in advance!

bryan

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's still V at low flows

I've been in at about 1.7, and I think that could be about the minimum. It was pretty bony, but still a fairly pushy creek. There's not much you can scout effectively and there is virtually no portaging- it's a box canyon with no access. If you were to swim and lose your boat or paddle, it would take a climbing rope with ascenders to get out. Go in with someone who knows the run. That being said, 1.7 to 1.8 is probably a good first-time-down level, and 1.9 would fill in the bony parts nicely. It is still intimidating Class V; the only-way-out-is-downriver gives it that extra pucker factor, and sets it apart from runs like OBJ.

·
Registered
112 Posts
El Flaco,

have you been down the Green in NC? how would you compare those two? is there anything as consequential as gorilla or sunshine in Vallecito?

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Green vs. Vallecito

Yeah, I did the Green once at 100%. I thought the rapids on the Green were huge, but you had a choice to run anything in there. I walked Gorilla and Sunshine and ran everything else, although I would have reconsidered Sunshine after putting in below it. I felt like overall the individual rapids on the Green were steeper, but Vallecito never lets up and you literally can't see the bottom of the rapids, even out of your boat. I paddled the Green with some guys who were training for the Race, so all I got was the beta at the top of each drop and I didn't get to scout much- so it had a similar feel to Vallecito in that respect. Once you get below Trash Can, the rapids drop out of sight and the walls close in. It would be a very bad place to dislocate a shoulder.

As far as I know there aren't any true sieves in Vallecito, but you can easily get pinned in Trash Can and there are more than a few pins spots throughout the run. The cave behind the Entrance Falls has caught a few boats /swimmers as well. I'm certainly no expert- there are guys in Durango that run it 4 times a week, all the way up to 2.4', and they could give a better report of various levels.

That being said, if you've paddled the Green I'm sure that Vallecito is within your ability, but I would definitely go down with a guide. And I wouldn't want to be the first one down in the season- my friend Jim put his chest through a 4" thick log across the creek once a few years ago as he came barrelling through a rock garden- luckily it broke.

You can somewhat scout the creek from the high trail, but you're still 60-70' above the water, so it's hard to get a sense of how steep it is from up high, and because it's so boxed in you can't see all of the rapids anyway. Gary E, Rasta, Gordon and Rolf took me down the first time and I was glad to have a wealth of beta getting down there.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I heard from a local source that there is a new log on the boof/sneak in trash can. That means pick you're line down a pin cushion. I wouldn't go down with less than 1.9. Lower than that there is no line (good line) in fuzzy bunny, except far left on the beach.

Steve.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed- Fuzzy Bunny was an elbow-crunching mess at 1.7; a couple of us watched Gary and Rasta run it (bashing the right-side rock), then we took the high right beach line (coincidentally the only rapid you can portage).

Keep us posted about the log...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts