Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to get my raft trailer licensed and registered, and on the UT DMV page it says that the trailer doesn't need to be registered if it is under 750 pounds. I'm pretty sure mine weighs around 550 pounds, so does that mean that I don't need to register it?

Thanks for any info - BS

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Yep....no registration needed if under 700 pounds. I registered mine when I first got it "just because," but stopped after one year when I realized I was wasting money. Idaho has a smaller trailer tag that only costs about $5 a year. Utah only has full sized plates and it costs something like $60-$90 a year. Save your money!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, that was what I was hoping to hear. Just wanted to be sure I was legal (at least trailer wise) for Deso next week.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If it's over the weight limit or double axel trailer you may want to register it. I had a buddy get busted outside of Jackson by a WY cop because his raft trailer wasn't licensed (even though we're from UT). Otherwise keep a box of donuts in the car to offer the cop when he pulls you over and he might overlook it.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,107 Posts
If it's over the weight limit or double axel trailer you may want to register it. I had a buddy get busted outside of Jackson by a WY cop because his raft trailer wasn't licensed (even though we're from UT). Otherwise keep a box of donuts in the car to offer the cop when he pulls you over and he might overlook it.
:)

I'm pretty sure cops respond better to cute young things with skimpy tops, tears in their eye and the proclamation;
"If you give me a ticket my boyfriend is gonna BEAT my ass!!

And cops no longer like donuts so much. They prefer Croissants

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought a new trailer this year and it weighs 950 lbs and is a single axle. The requirement does state that if it is over 750 it needs to be registered. A local police officer told me not to bother because they never pull trailers over for no plates. I decided to go the save route and I did register it. My thought was that if I was in an accident or something that it might cause me a hassle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
:)

I'm pretty sure cops respond better to cute young things with skimpy tops, tears in their eye and the proclamation;
"If you give me a ticket my boyfriend is gonna BEAT my ass!!

And cops no longer like donuts so much. They prefer Croissants
I'm sure this is true. However, as a middle aged male, I think the cop would prefer donuts over seeing you in a skimpy top.

·
Registered
175 Posts
colorado trailers?

I have the same question for Colorado trailers. DMV told me I need to have plates and registration for any trailer but I thought I saw a weight requirement or length requirement somewhere. Any Colorado folks have any input on this?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I got a ticket several years ago for my (formerly) unregistered trailer in Colorado driving from Denver to the San Juan. The Colorado Highway Patrol who pulled me over helpfully showed me the current statute... I think the state changed the laws to require registration for all trailers maybe 10 or so years ago, cause I had definitely seen older references saying it was okay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts