Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like no CO trip for me this summer because i am headed up to Quebec to boat instead...However, I am looking for an early springish trip to Utah to do some runs i have always wanted to hit. SO, tell me about when is the best time for flows and what kind of window is there usually for Zion narrows, Black boxes, etc. and other runs that might be combine able with Zion time frame. I am pretty flexible with traveling time so i can make a trip happen pretty fast because of flows. Also is there any place out there (SLC or other) that rents boats? Any help is really appreciated big time. And for you guys jonesing for some good WW here is a pic from last week in VA, with NO POGES!

Thanks

TrevarB

·
Registered
133 Posts
Smurfwarrior, did you mean Canyon Voyages? in moab? The place with Adventure in the name is "Moab Adventure Center" aka the Mac. I don't know if they rent kayaks, but I know Canyon Voyages does.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Zion will most likely flow before anything else in Utah (except maybe escalante). Probably better to look towards Arizona for other runs that time of year. Zion usually flows for a couple of weeks in a good year. San Raf usually has a really short window (as in a couple of days to a week)

·
addict
739 Posts
i was able to hit the NF Virgin (narrows & temple runs) and Black Boxes last year. the Virgin went the last week of april and the first week of may. look for high flows to avoid a serious low water trudge for the first 6 miles of the narrows, and watch out for wood. there is a lot. from what i can tell the Boxes are more of a rain fed event than from snowpack. i think we did the Boxes in mid June.

these runs are hard to hit. right place & right time sort of thing with very short windows, especially for the black boxes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts