Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this buddy... no really, I do, it's not just a euphemism.... any way's he's a cheap bastard and has an old Campways bucket boat that the floor is starting to leak frequently - i.e. several patches this summer. As I said before he's tight with cash and he knows this boat isn't going to last forever... he about chocked at the idea of $27 a foot at NRS for Aire's floor material... As it turns out I have some shower pan liner left over from a project we're thinking about trying to glue with shore adhesive as wear guards.

Again, we have pvc sheet material, fairly thick (comparable to most patch material) but with no denier, that's right no cloth in it we're thinking about using for a last ditch effort to get a few more years out of an old boat without breaking the bank. The thought is to glue it inside the floor, not outside as it's fairly soft, kind of use it as a backer inside...Any ideas? Anyone tried it before? Name calling? Anything?

·
Registered
180 Posts
hi im Larry...and this is my brother Darrel...and this is my other brother Darrel...lol

its not Larry from butte boat is it?
cut the floor out instant cataraft plus a big chunk of future patch material

·
Registered
519 Posts
Check with the local repair shops and rental fleets for some scrap material cut from dead boats.

The fiber reinforcing is what gives the material tear strength. Without it the material would be iffy for a patch and be unable to add reinforcing any existing worn areas.

Plus you don't really know if it is compatible with the adhesives used. PVC membrane intended for interior use probably doesn't come with UV inhibitors and may not last in full sun.

It makes no sense to add material to the inside of the boat since the likely damage is from the exterior.
The additional material would only add weight and be in the way if you needed to do a real patch in the same area.

There are urethane products you can slosh around the inside of a leaky boat to seal pin holes, but I remember them as kinda pricey.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
naup, jest a good 'ol boy from belowgrade... He'll patch it one way t'other.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check with the local repair shops for some scrap material cut from dead boats.

The fiber reinforcing is what gives the material tear strength. Without it the material would be iffy for a patch and be unable to add reinforcing any existing worn areas.

Plus you don't really know if it is compatible with the adhesives used. PVC membrane intended for interior use probably doesn't come with UV inhibitors.
Repair shops in Mailorder Montana? Good idea but the only shop we have would charge $27 a foot for their used material too!

the leaks are all small, I don't think strength will be an issue, the original floor would provide that, just a stop gap to keep from chasing leaks all summer I think is what's he's going for... I told him that laying one big sheet, or even 3 smaller ones would be a PIA so we'll see.

We'd do a test patch for sure to see how if things hold up...but the UV protection is a good thought, hadn't thought about it that way...

FWIW this boat has been known as the SS Hoopty for decades, so the larry, daryl and daryl concept fits right in!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I know the local hardware sells that stuff in bulk off the roll. I thought it was EPDM. I know that stuff holds up to the sun and is very durable. I use the stuff quite a bit and it's good stuff. We clean the it with gasoline before gluing it to itself and the glue we use is very similar to shore adhesive.

Jim

·
Registered
322 Posts
I recall something from a rafting history story about Russian catarafts actually starting out as bucket boats where they cut the floor out. Certainly your bud could find some driftwood to build a frame...

Personally, I suspect this is just a troll for another poverty boats thread.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jim,

Yeah I got what I currently have at Kenyon Noble and they sold it with a "specialized" pvc cement. I'm pretty certain it's PVC. I think there are several types and that EPDM is one that may be different material? Typically red? Maybe just a different name? I don't know, it's been a while since I researched it...

My thought was to use PVC stuff I have (it's grey) and shore adhesive vs the cement (thinking the cement is probably too aggressive for the old boat material).

I started to wonder about UV since it's typically covered in cement/tile/etc...

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I recall something from a rafting history story about Russian catarafts actually starting out as bucket boats where they cut the floor out. Certainly your bud could find some driftwood to build a frame...
Funny, I'll tell him... No he's been running this boat for a while, with a frame, oars and everything, it's really great. Alternate solutions don't always need to be backwoods... maybe he could use the driftwood to club himself some dinner though!

·
Registered
536 Posts
how did someone this cheap ever get into a pastime like rafting? ;)

doing work with garbage materials is just more of a waste of time and money,imho.

also, weren't campways boat's hypalon?:confused:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how did someone this cheap ever get into a pastime like rafting? ;)

doing work with garbage materials is just more of a waste of time and money,imho.

also, weren't campways boat's hypalon?:confused:
He's not into rafting, he's into fishing. .. lots of folks on this site are into rafts for rafting, many others simply use them as a tool and could give a shout about the details, etc...I realize you were being at least somewhat sarcastic

As far as garbage in in garbage out, I don't think it's garbage at all, the idea is to think outside the box and use a material very similar to true raft material as a wear guard/backing. I think it's a great idea for this aging boat and was hoping someone else may have tried it. ..

Now with all that said, yes it's apparently hypalon, just figured that out. ..he knew it was hyp, I just assumed old leaky boat was pvc...

·
Registered
322 Posts
On using driftwood to club food:

Somewhere there is an hysterical Sheridan Anderson cartoon of a climber in the old Yosemite Camp 4 trying to intice a squirrel with an acorn so he can club it with a frying pan. It was funny in the 70's, probably be trouble now. NPS would probably prosecute.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I aint a skurred to float on anything strapped together with driftwood... whatever carries a cooler full of beer and grub and gets you Down the river is all that counts :p

·
Registered
203 Posts
These kind of threads are the best. Get him a gallon of Gaco paint for his Christmas present. Or grind up some tires and mix it with some shore adhesive. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
You can glue pvc to hypalon with Stabond. But gluing showerpan liner to raft is way off the Res even for the most Bubba of Montanans. IMHO at least. If he's getting leak after leak I say he's got something on his trailer or frame poking holes. If the fabric is delaminating, go with Gaco as has been mentioned. Or buy one of the myriad quality old bucket boats for a few hundred bucks, drop in the old frame and oars, and have a set up good for another ten years.

Or do nothing and bail more often.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I think he's found some hypolon surplus material on ebay for $17 a yard and he's been looking at the paints, Flexane, tuff-coat, etc. they'll run $500 at least which I think is a total waste on this boat so I'm pushing him to just buy the surplus material and put it on in 3 or 4 overlapping sheets. Apparently he's not as cheap as I thought, which I'm bummed about cause I wanted him to try this concept, and if it worked I could find an old bucket boat to rehab into jump shooting (ducks) rig... oh well.

By the way, I'm happiest when I'm off the reservation :) - its where I belong!

·
Registered
206 Posts
By the way, I'm happiest when I'm off the reservation :) - its where I belong!
Yeah, I kinda feel the same way...

There was some dude in Lewiston selling of a fleet of Shoshones that looked really nice for $350 a pop earlier this summer. Getting into a good bucket boat for less than $500 should be easy--I can only imagine that would be better than some cobbled together frankenboat but I guess to each their own.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I kinda feel the same way...

There was some dude in Lewiston selling of a fleet of Shoshones that looked really nice for $350 a pop earlier this summer. Getting into a good bucket boat for less than $500 should be easy--I can only imagine that would be better than some cobbled together frankenboat but I guess to each their own.
no, that's exactly what I'd like to get into, but a $350 boat isn't going to last too long so finding cheap and successful ways of keeping it going are appealing to me.

My boat budget is limited and spread amongst 5 boats so adding a sixth requires what money I do spend be spent wisely. If I can find a way to bolster an old boat for 1/4 the cash, the more I can spend on the others... and the ones with motors always require $$.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
The thing is, you overlay the existing floor I can see all kinds of seepage and water rot and problems.

Better he should get a big bucket of glue and what not, and just start patching. I mean, it's a Campways, how big can the floor be, and how leaky?

Now here's the other thing; a leaky floor on a river boat ain't always a bad thing. I mean, it's not like it will sink. Just keeps your tennis wet. But, I mean, you're on a river after all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts