Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ya it would make a great sea anchor. You could even row down stream hard and not get anywhere. Just like the wind was blowing up stream.

·
Registered
19 Posts
At 4.5 feet, it seems kinda small. I bet after 120 river days when you finally get a stiff tailwind on flatwater, you'll spend just enough time rigging it that when you finally get it popped up the wind will be gone. But then again, 60% of the time we devote to rafting is spent in the garage tinkering with shit like this to try something new next time. And sometimes it pays off. I'll just keep a tarp handy myself and save the 15 bucks.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I have considered bringing my kayak sail on river trips but always forget to pack it. I have used it for sea kayaking and it got me up to 10-ish mph according to my GPS. I purchased it when I paddled the length of Lake Powell solo. The drag on a raft would lower that significantly but I have had plenty of tail winds on trips like Deso to make it an intriguing experiment. I bet you could add 2-3 mph to the current's speed. The kayak sails attach and detach easily.

I have one of the Windpaddle sails. I doubt I would buy one solely for this purpose given their cost but they would work a lot better than the parachute you linked. For $13 it can't hurt to try the one you have linked. Either way prepare for a bit of upper body workout using it (you will likely need someone to hold it in place no matter the design) as it takes quite a bit of resistance in any wind worthwhile deploying it in.

Phillip

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm thinking sea anchor use!

We recently hit an upriver wind so sever we could barely row down river with two people. I emptied my trash bucket, put a strap on it and threw it in the river and it made all the difference in the world, boat didn't go back upstream on the back stroke....

As has been said upriver winds are way more common so get a sea anchor for upriver winds and just relax and enjoy if you're lucky enough to get a down river wind. ...or maybe you could use that thing for both a downriver sail and a sea anchor?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have dropped my bimini forward on the raft on the rare occasion when we had a downstream wind. It worked very well for the 15 minutes that it lasted.

Dan

·
Registered
796 Posts
Why are you in such a hurry to get off the river?:D
That's what I was thinking, don't know why you'd ever need to take advantage of the rare tailwind. Maybe across a lake.

Done the bucket anchor a few times, can help a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I like camp time almost as much as the experience of floating myself. And to be honest, I have never found being in wind to be all that pleasant wether it be down or up canyon; there is something about wind that just grates on me, its likely because of how much epic wind we have in Cedar. Down canyon is undoubtedly better but the sensation of cruising faster because of the wind is great as well (having done it elsewhere). Using a sail is fun.

Phillip

·
Super Moderator
4,053 Posts
What is this "Tail-wind" of which you speak? This concept is beyond my comprehension.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not really lookin to get off the river faster, just trying to relax easier. Sea anchor is a good idea though. Just kinda like to cruise on flat water without having to row. Always looking to make things easier!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts