Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I'm considering buying a 2007 13' Sotar Elite ST package - I'm interested in keeping the frame and selling the rubber.

What is this boat worth (sans frame or any extras)? I don't know much about Sotar round-rafts. It has two thwarts... the dude says the boat has been out 2-3 times a year and I believe it... it is pretty mint. Stored inflated - it has two patches on the bottom that he says were pinholes from storage (not sure why that would be true - though I've heard other sotar owners talk about this?). It's that crappy tan color... but otherwise very clean.

Anything specific to look for with used Sotars? Thoughts on re-sale price?

Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
The tan color was priced discounted, I think at least 20%. Put that on top of a typical retail discount of 10-20% and you will know current retail. What it is worth from there is a crapshoot that i can't help you with.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
572 Posts
Our 10 year old 16' Sotar cat doesn't leak for just any apparent reason. I did put a deep scratch in it and repaired it with a few coats of LiquidLex as per the Sotar repair tech suggestion. It was easy and has held up fine for 6 years. A friend of ours has a 20 year old 16' Sotar raft. It doesn't leak. If they leak, it's because someone put a hole in it. I mean really, how does 7 year old boat suddenly develope a pin hole leak in storage? Maybe I missed them, but has there been a rash of postings about Sotar developing leaks lately?

·
Jared
735 Posts
They did have some issues with delaminating material, where bubbles would appear on the top layer of the material above the fabric. The guy I bought my 2008 ST from had an older ST that delaminated and had to be deflated and de-rigged just below Lava. He gave me both of the thwarts out of that old raft, they both leaked like sieves. I chopped one up for material, but decided to dump it all since I couldn't trust it. One thing I noticed about it, the outer layer was yellow. The inner layer was red, but on my 2008 I am pretty sure it is yellow on the inside too. There is almost a transparency to my tubes.
I don't store my raft deflated, but I did roll up my thwarts for a while. It appears that after a few months they developed creases, so now I have them inflated in my garage too.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Just about everyone I know with a sotar has had issues with the frame wearing a hole through the raft or tubes. Usually in transport. Maybe its their "custom" hand made frames which have rough spots. Considering how bomber the material is supposed to be, not impressed.

·
Registered
572 Posts
OK, but a hole worn thru in transportation is not pin hole developing in storage. I'm aware of the issues with the older glued seam Sotars. In fact, our friend w/ the 20 year Sotar had one of the older ones and Sotar worked a deal with him for the current one. I'm not saying they're any better than the other premium brands, but a blanket statement that they all leak for no apparent reason is a little unfair.

We also have a Sotar frame. We transport the cat rigged on a trailer and It hasn't worn thru the material on our 10' year old cat. I'm careful about inflation and making sure all the straps are tight. IMO, a frame could wear thru any brand tube if it's not handled properly

·
Jared
735 Posts
Just about everyone I know with a sotar has had issues with the frame wearing a hole through the raft or tubes. Usually in transport. Maybe its their "custom" hand made frames which have rough spots. Considering how bomber the material is supposed to be, not impressed.
Things like frame chafes and wrapped floors cost extra (with Sotar), I need to add chafes to my boat. I'd never run another boat without them. There are bite marks on my tubes from straps wrapped around my frame right now.

·
Registered
572 Posts
We have a material chafe strip, but I've noticed that if someone pulls a strap off too fast, it does leave a wear mark where the frame sits on the tube. Almost like it melted slightly from the heat and abrasion. I'm with you though. I'd never order a boat w/o a chafe strip either. The liquid lex is pretty easy to apply to an existing boat. It and the solvent are pretty toxic, so I applied it outside.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
As osseous said, sotars do not have issues with pinholes. They are among the top brands for good reason. My 14' crappy tan color (which I really like) rolls up and stores in my garage quite nicely for most of the year with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I think back in the day they had a run of material that had pinhole problems. I don't know the era but I believe it was distinct. But if they get a weld too hot it can cause pinholing in adjacent overheated fabric.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
166 Posts
We have a material chafe strip, but I've noticed that if someone pulls a strap off too fast, it does leave a wear mark where the frame sits on the tube. Almost like it melted slightly from the heat and abrasion. I'm with you though. I'd never order a boat w/o a chafe strip either. The liquid lex is pretty easy to apply to an existing boat. It and the solvent are pretty toxic, so I applied it outside.
Ripping on dry straps will definitely burn through material. JPW's site has really practical advice on the subject:

Jack's Plastic Welding, Inc.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You ever held on tight to a dry sandy strap and ripped it through your hand real fast? It sucks. Don't do this to your boat.

Sotar Lexatron is the shit. No other raft fabric comes close to the opimal balance of weight, durability and roll-ability. Pinholes don't really happen unless you take a pin and poke holes in your Sotar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.