Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo, just moved back down to the Springs, wondering if anyone knows if there are pool sessions at the Air Force Academy. If I remember correctly they used to have a kayaking club at the Academy.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Drew

·
Registered
420 Posts
Tuesday's!

Yo, just moved back down to the Springs, wondering if anyone knows if there are pool sessions at the Air Force Academy. If I remember correctly they used to have a kayaking club at the Academy.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Drew
YO! USAFA has their pool sessions every tusday nights, starting at 8pm-10pm, but we usually show up around 730-745-ish. Next Tuesday is the last pool session before Christmas and new Years. Starts back up on Jan. 5th I think.

Here's the number to call, ask for the open play kayak pool session which is only $5 bucks.

Cecil there also teaches intro to kayak classes for ~$40. In the Spring and Summer, he also offers the 3 day Fast track Intro to Kayak lessons; pool, lake, and then river. Pool sessions are pretty much Year-Round here!

Number:
719-333-2940

He's also trying to sell a Black Jackson Classic Fun if you know anybody interested.

See you around maybe!

OH, and it's not with the Cadets at all, it's held at the Community Rec Center's pool.

-Alex

·
Registered
299 Posts
So that's where you've been. Missing being up north again Drew? See that shit, you've been slacking for so long people think you need intro to kayak lessons man.

Also, Alex what the hell have you been up to lately? Getting on any winter Ark trips yet?

·
Registered
420 Posts
So that's where you've been. Missing being up north again Drew? See that shit, you've been slacking for so long people think you need intro to kayak lessons man.

Also, Alex what the hell have you been up to lately? Getting on any winter Ark trips yet?

Me, Cecil, and Nick went on a kayaking road trip to AZ the weekend before Thanksgiving. We hit up Fossil Creek. ~80 degree air temps, natural hot spring water with nice warm temps, and some fun waterfalls! I'm using Cecil's Jefe in the beginning, but then at the end (~13:11 minutes) I'm using my Hero on powerhouse...ended up backwards for a bit. HAHA!

You didn't see the video?

Check it out here:
Fossil Creek, Arizona on Vimeo

Other than that, I've just been doin the school thing and hitting up the gym. I've lost ~20 Lbs in about 2.5 months! You get any winter boatin Ark trips in yet?

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts

Where the heck have YOU been? :mrgreen: The Ark is freaking stone cold..we hit up the Numbers and it was harsh. When you gonna get some skis so aren't a one trick pony? :p You get me up on some Class IV and I'll get you up on Black Diamonds. :cool:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Where the heck have YOU been? :mrgreen: The Ark is freaking stone cold..we hit up the Numbers and it was harsh. When you gonna get some skis so aren't a one trick pony? :p You get me up on some Class IV and I'll get you up on Black Diamonds. :cool:
How about you both come out to the backcountry, and I'll get you some air time hucking some "CORN-i" all day!! Ha Haaa!! :p We should all hook up and share some turns sometime!! Allan's broken leg should be healed by January!! Then we'll be all set for the season!!

Alex, How's bout some 20 footers on sticks!! Ha Haaa!! It'll be fun!!

Cheers!!

-Nick

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
How about you both come out to the backcountry, ....
-Nick
Not too many good days in the Army but one of them was the day I handed them back their climbing skins and snowshoes. ;)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry Alex, I forgot that would involve hiking!!!! :p Ha Haaa!!

Yeah Sarge, I didn't want to pay the man for a pass this year..:sad: It's only BC for me. Which I prefer anyways!! :cool: How was the numbers?

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
How was the numbers?
STONE cold. That's a young mans game in the winter. I'm done till spring. I've already hung up the "Gone skiing sign". Bummer for Alan.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What the hell did you talk Allen into this time that he broke his leg! You weren't snow yalkin were ya?
RandyP

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hiking

Not too many good days in the Army but one of them was the day I handed them back their climbing skins and snowshoes. ;)

LOL! That's funny Scott, I gotta agree with you there! Turning in my Ruck Sack, and Air Items was definately one of the good days!

Nick, I don't mind hiking, it's just that my back can't take much abuse/weight anymore. Jumping out of planes and humping ~120 Lbs of gear in the Army wreaked havoc on my L4/L5...leading to a herniated disc there. Knees and Ankles are pretty shot too, which doesn't help things along the vertebrae area.

Have fun in the Back COuntry!!! Be safe out there!

'Till the next adventure!

-Alex

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alex, thanks for the info, I'll get in touch with Cecil and start hitting up the pool sessions. Can't make it next week, but I'll be up there in January.

Patrick, you been boating lately? Maybe we should try for a trip up to the numbers sometime...New Years Numbers trip?????

Oh, since we're talking BC Skiing, where's the best BC around the Springs?

C'ya,
Drew

·
Registered
299 Posts
Alex, I had missed the video, so thanks for the link. Sounds fun and looks in the video, but still scrapey. Normally I don't mind mank, but that seems like a long drive for Fossil with that kind of mank though.

Drew, I haven't been kayaking recently either. Since that Gore trip you missed out on, I only have been paddling once. As far as a Numbers trip, it would depend when. I'm currently out of days off, but if you are looking for a New Years Day run I could swing that since I have that Friday off. I'm not a skier myself, but I know a couple people that love skiing on Pikes Peak.

Scott, I've haven't been kayaking since the Norm fiasco at Tunnel Drive. Glad you had fun in the cold. Did water freeze to your helmet? Or eyelids? That always makes things interesting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts