Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ebby
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with an Ursack? They would be much easier to pack into a kayak. I understand contents could get crushed but I can't find a hard vault that will fit into my Tsunami 145.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Ursack makes a metal sheet that becomes the cylinder inside the bag to prevent crushing. It should fit in the boat easily that way. Just make sure to use a rope to hang or secure the bag. Bears can't pick up a canister and carry it off. They can carry an Ursack away.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
My friends use them and prefer them for backpacking for similar reasons you are looking into them. They should be fine for prevention unless you are dropping lines in any of the backcountry wilderness areas that require certified containers; they have an ongoing issue with the IGBC.

Phillip

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used an Ursack on a long backpack 10 years ago...with low confidence it would really work.

Tree hang? Don't need it. Use a nylon bag.

Ground based? Food would be crushed and/or carried off. And I think eventually a bear would get into it.

Plastic containers are heavy and are a pain, but truly work (if you can fit them!)

Just my .02

·
Ebby
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply.
My wife and I have backpacked in Yellowstone and the Tetons and have used the plastic vaults to store food etc for a week. But I don't want to strap them on the deck of our kayaks. Therefore we're looking at alternatives. Now that we're in our 60's looking forward to the kayaks taking a load off our backs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts