Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A big upslope storm is forecast to hit the front range this weekend. Of course these storms are notorious for fluctuations that can make the precip hit or miss for our favorite creeks.

The set up of big spring upslope on top of an average snowpack is a good set up for bear creek to run. Not saying it will run, but saying this is what it typically needs to run... huge precip.

I'm kicking myself for not cleaning out bear creek this winter. Wife is out of town and I am home bound, so I'm not going to get anything out of the creek prior to the storm. If anyone has motivation... the key log is the log in the diamond splitter drop in the upper part of the run that has a log blocking the normal middle line. We were running the sketchier right line all last season and getting that log out should be relatively easy. The dam is another story.

Anyway... dust off your gear and be ready... we might get some action (or might not).

Viva upslope!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is weird Who wouldn't want bear creek to run besides the gun toting land owners? Don't want bear creek to run, and miss out on the semi annual front range yard sale classic?

If its over 26, I'm running it this weekend.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just drove up and down the canyon. Was trying to look into the river for logs. I noticed one river wide one that I believe is below the first slide. There also were a lot of small logs above hobbit hole. It might of been another tree that fallen into the creek; but it didn't look river wide, just enough for a strainer.
I have a feeling it is going to be at a nice flow once this storm passes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I didn't stop and get out of my car. I am pretty sure the logs in that manky rapid between no fun and first slide are still there and the one after the dam is still there.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also... bear hit min flows with 3 storms coming in the next week and 130% of average snowpack on mt evans. Looks like its gonna be a nice spring bear season. Love it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts