Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are about four of us from Colorado Springs (Pikes Peak Whitewater Club) who are coming to do the Taos Box this weekend. We want to do the Upper but need someone to go with us who knows the run. Anyone available? We'll be arriving Friday night and could do the Upper on either Saturday or Sunday, which ever works.
Karen

·
Registered
911 Posts
I highly recommend having a guide. Although I have done it once, I wouldn't go back in there without a guide for at least 2 or 3 more times. The moves are fairly easy IV+, but a swim is destined for dangerous/deadly sieves that are literally everywhere.

Also, pay attn to the flows. I have been told that over 1K starts to jump into a much tougher run as well.

It is really beautiful in there... a true gem of a run.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Karen, TK and I paddled the Upper last couple of days. The BLM ranger onsite indicated that the flows were expected to drop any day now as irrigation water begins to be diverted. We had +/- 1000 cfs on Wed. and a little less on Thurs. At these levels scouts are obvious as are the lines. Big Arsenic has some creepy moves but again the scout is very obvious. It's my recomendation to do the hike out at little Arsenic, it's a 40 minute slog but beats the flatwater out to Dunn bridge, especially as flowws drop. Good luck with the water levels!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts