Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know if anyone has run this stretch or not, but there is a possibly runnable creek just to west of crested butte. lake irwin is letting out a good amount of water right now that immediately flows into an intense but shallow gorge right below the lake. theres a 10 foot waterfall right off the bat thats visible from one of the campsites at the lake irwin campground. i bushwacked down into the gorge from a few places and the stuff i saw was mostly runnable. there was at least one large falls (40-50) that was unrunnable due to a stair-step an a very shallow landing, but the majority of everything else i saw looked runnable. has anyone done this before? if not, and anyone is in need of some serious adventure creeking (read: possibly epic), check it out. the put in would ideally be at Lake Irwin dam (or just below, at the gauging station right above the first falls), and the take out comes where the creek starts to mellow out and you can see the road on the right, way above you...... there is a bridge that crosses over the gorge at one point (kebler pass rd) but i dont know how well you could eddy out to use this, it looks quite fast. if anyone has any info on people doing this (maybe milo or another fellow cb'r)?

·
Registered
698 Posts
.....ruby fork....

....4-5 years ago i heard that a couple of drops got run .....portages, wood and gradient...walked it with no water and it was super beautiful but manky.....one-eye-reporting(este melentrodnick) calls it unrunnable......it makes a better hike than a paddle...from the first bridge below the grave yard(kebler pass) on down to horse ranch park was paddled by rob dastin and croanies and was reported to be full of wood and was super sketch....i'd take his word for it!.....

·
Registered
698 Posts
.....ruby fork....

....4-5 years ago i heard that a couple of drops got run .....portages, wood and gradient...walked it with no water and it was super beautiful but manky.....one-eye-reporting(este melentrodnick) calls it unrunnable....we talked about it last night as a matter of fact.....it makes a better hike than a paddle...from the first bridge below the grave yard(kebler pass) on down to horse ranch park was paddled by rob dastin and croanies and was reported to be full of wood and was super sketch....i'd take his word for it!.....

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
We ran a 1/4 mile or less, and 100 foot or so drop total a few weeks ago. Just the section right under the bridge on Kebler pass.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Put in below the lake, but hike down below the death falls. Take out at the bridge (or explore further and let us know!). Walk the whole thing to avoid the other set of death falls (the triple falls that lands on rocks twice).

We ran some of the drops some years ago and there have been people in there before us.

This is another run i think could be a classic if it got cleaned of wood and if the flow window was longer.

There are some REALLY sweet drops in there.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah thats why i was curious, some of the drops (most notably a sliding falls section just above the bridge and the first falls right below the lake) looked really nice, it was just death falls that looked sketchy.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I was with dastin and Pizzuti on that maybe in 97 or so...I remember it being a wood fest with no eddies and ugly drops...There were some nice drops but most were trash....Never wanted to go back,but who knows it might be someones cup of tea...
Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts