Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw the photo. how high above the confluence is this put-in? what's it like from there down. cool. thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
saw the photo. how high above the confluence is this put-in? what's it like from there down. cool. thanks
not sure what you mean . . . but these falls are just below the confluence with South Grizzly and Grizzly. It is about a 20 mile drive up Deep Creek Road. It is about 10-11 creek miles above the Colorado River confluence.

It looks like there is a 2-mile section in there that drops about 1500 feet. This section ends right about where the standard put-in is. So, there are 4-5 miles of whitewater above the "sphincter" section, as Chan puts it, that drop about 180-200 ft./mile. It looked good from what we saw. 3 marked falls on the Nat. Geo discs. Once you drop into the sphincter, the gorge walls become 1200 foot cliffs. I'd reccomend getting out about 3 miles below Broken Rib and hiking back up. [the hike is hell] The terrain is somewhat open around the stream for that stretch.

The lead in rapids to the first falls were awesome, but blocked with some large logs. The first half mile or so down from the falls only had one river-wide strainer. There are definitely wood issues, but that's creeking.

But for the access, this thing has serious potential. Judging from the looks of things, I'd say it has a couple more weeks in it. We tried three weeks ago and ran into drifts about 5 miles out on the road. Take a dirtbike and scout it first maybe.

I think Chan and crew put in at Broken Rib and made it down to the sphincter before abandoning their mission.

Definitely going to spend more time hiking than boating. Beautiful place!

·
Registered
416 Posts
There are a lot of other drainages in the area that might pose some WW. But its a lot of work, and might not lend a lot of reward. Friend has some cabins up there, and most that I've seen was log clogged, or more or less a long hike with little reward. But if your up for an adventure...... check out some of the drainages coming off the same area for sure!
BG

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the info and for the motivation to go up there and take a peek for everyone. looks fun but scary at the same time. beautiful country, love the flat tops country!!

chan is not human.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts