Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for more stuff to run cause there is no water anywhere haha. I found the Upper Fryingpan. Seems like a really fun supposedly V- run near basalt. From what I know though is that its about an hour drive from basalt. Is it worth it coming from Eagle?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Lower Fryingpan is loaded with Wood! lots of it. Several mandatory portages. I Just checked it out on Saturday. Unless you are looking for a Class III epic I'd recommend just running Shoshone!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Caleb, I have scouted the bottom Fryingpan many times and it is simply a logjam nightmare, especially after the best rapid on the run and many blind corners. It is in a bad need of some serious chain-saw action. Would take several people a good long day or two to clean it up. I hear when it is clean and flows around 400 it is really fun. The Kellog family has a good older video of the run, check it out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've run the lower pan a few times, once in the last month and a half or so. Its kinda fun if your around the area and are looking to tick off most of the rivers in the area. The wood wasn't horrible the top slide still runs but you have to hit the eddy river left just above a.river wide tree. I almost snuck through the top of the tree so one very short portage there, and one more short one just below. The best spot is a couple boogie sections leading into theslide/ ledge holes just out of town. Upper looks to have some cool stretches but I've not run it. I hear lime creek into the upper pan to reudi is good when its running but I can't find anything on it nor do I know anyone that still runs it personally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've run the lower pan a few times, once in the last month and a half or so. Its kinda fun if your around the area and are looking to tick off most of the rivers in the area. The wood wasn't horrible the top slide still runs but you have to hit the eddy river left just above a.river wide tree. I almost snuck through the top of the tree so one very short portage there, and one more short one just below. The best spot is a couple boogie sections leading into theslide/ ledge holes just out of town. Upper looks to have some cool stretches but I've not run it. I hear lime creek into the upper pan to reudi is good when its running but I can't find anything on it nor do I know anyone that still runs it personally.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The upper pan is pretty fun. It is not worth the drive unless it is 500 or higher. From eagle you can actually take the Eagle Thomasville rd over and it would take you about an hour depending on road conditions ( do not drive when wet) I use to live up there are we would alternate going through basalt and straight to eagle to get to denver. Anyway, it is fun and busy. Only one dramatic rapid. but a whole lot of busy water. Last summer at 600 there was only one log portage. Definitely plan on a few laps or coming over to camp out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.