Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually put in at the Hywy 24 put-in across from the Forest service offices. But it seems the commercials put in somewhat upriver.

Years ago, in a kayak, I put in in Minturn. All I remember is low fences and wires, so I have never gone higher in my cat.

Where is the higher put-in? And are there any rapids (S-Turn?) above normal put-in?

Thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
Timberline used to put-in at thier maintenance shop about 1 mile upstream of forest service putin on the left (old school small commercial strip), this is about 1 mile before minturn.

Next upstream would be just after minturn take a left over the only bridge (this leads to the cemetery, shooting range, two elk trail). You can get a cat down to the river at the gravel lot right at the bridge..or perhaps the newer town park just there also.

Next upstream is Tigawon Road. (before the hairpin turn on hwy 24 at teh Bridge over the Eagle) make a right and an immediate left onto a double track...200 ft to Eagle River).

it is just busy water...when it rages it is easy contnous class III. slightly mellower than the s-turns. Fun.

MY cutoff for the Eagle is 800 cfs (14' cat) at Avon WW treatment plant. That was last Sunday when i floated. I have only kayaked thru mnturn

·
Registered
251 Posts
Your cut off for a 14' cat is 800cfs. Is that your min or max flow. I know nothing about this run but I'd love to hit it this year with my 16' cat.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done down to 650 in my 12' cat.
I would say below 700 in my 16'.
Very fun cat run once it starts flowing!
Can use either a bike or the bus for shuttle.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That limit is to safely sneak under bridges?
Don't know of any bridge issues except Trestle between Wolcott and campground. But that is not a problem until over 2k. All bridges on Upper Eagle (Dowd to Water Treatment Plant) work at most al levels.

·
Super Moderator
4,252 Posts
Is there any access for a raft near and below Dowd? I'd love a trailer-friendly access.

For us chicken boaters....

Thanks!

-AH

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Swank: the Eagle is a fun run from 600+/- to 4600. Above 2700 I sometimes skip Dowd Chutes and put in just below. The hardest move in Dowd Chutes is very easy to scout from the railroad tracks. I've been down in my 16' cat but much prefer my 12'. Always looking for people to run it with. Will be up there a lot when it comes up.

Andy: There is a good put-in across from the Forest Service office just above Dowd Chutes. Short carry across bike path and down to river. The next "somewhat" trailer friendly access is a mile below Dowd Chutes directly under the I-70 bridge. Also has a short, rocky carry, but see trailers in there all the time. If by trailer friendly, you mean pull directly from trailer to water, then no.

Just looked and it is running 595 cfs, so I will probably be up there next week.
I look at RiverBrain.com for flows. Gauge at Avon Water Treatment Plant.
American Whitewater uses a gauge in Minturn that I believe is above Gore Creek.
It shows 250 cfs.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The eagle was my back yard for 33 years. We only had the gauge in Dowd up until a few years ago.

I've never, ever made a course directional move in the chutes, other than keeping it straight in dozens and dozens of paddle and oared trips.

My biggest concern was/is the railroad bridge pylon at high flows.

That said, my only wrap (other than a half a freaking million uniquely prepared lunch wraps), was on a very high water trip (over 7ft). I got taken to the wood shed. As we got through the class IV, I relaxed my guard. Which caused the worst swim of all three of our lives. I wrapped my boat at the golf course bridge in eagle-vail. Bad swims for all of us. My worst before or since.

I'll never let my guard down again.

I've gone on to do some amazing trips since. That swim really humbled me. I'll never be the same because I really did almost die. It taught me that I have a responsibly when I'm at the oars...for far more than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts