Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
fat guy in a little boat
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Details are still coming in, but there's been a fatality on the Upper C this afternoon.

So there's been a fiberglass drift boat pinned on river left, 3/4 thru a rapid most people around here know as graveyard or boneyard. It's the last little rapid in the Red Canyon (Yarmony Canyon). Top of the straight-away above the Benches Campgrounds.
Apparently the victim was on a raft that hit the drift boat, was ejected, and was pinned between the drift boat and the rocks, entangled in the raft's un-coiled bow line.

No word yet if they're planning on removing the drift boat now, or letting higher water do it.
If you're planning on running the Upper C anytime soon, keep your eyes open at the end of the canyon....

Please be careful out there folks. Rivers are running high all over.
Let's all be as safe as possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Shit it must have been the group that put on behind my group. Saw EMS, Grand County Sheriff, BLM, and the river rangers running hot that way as I was leaving Pump House.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ugh, no bueno, prayers.

Dory + Raft + Pin + Entanglement + Weekday. Not a combination you hear everyday.

This is a run many of us have done in the past and is kind of routine. Always be safe and boat in numbers.

Again thoughts with the family.

·
Pieter Porcupine
284 Posts
Hug your loved ones a little tighter tonight. Shit can hit the fan real quick and the easy "This won't happen to me" mentality can serve up nasty pie real quick. This is especially true for what some of us call our backyard run. Use the "sterile cockpit rule" when working on safety checks and briefs, and send some prayers to the survivors and relatives.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Really Sorry to hear, we saw it on Saturday and were considering to try and remove it on Sunday, as we had a big group that we were training, in the High Country River Rafters club. We looked at it for a z-drag practice but considered that too advanced for our rookie days.

·
Registered
230 Posts
very sad to hear of the loss of a river soul, Are there any pictures of this pinned boat floating around?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
So there is an uncoiled bowline rope attached to the dory sitting in the water and she was caught up in it.

Hope someone cut the rope and removed!

·
fat guy in a little boat
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got off the river. The dory has been removed and is beached at Bench 2.

And yes, from my understanding, the rope was from the raft, not the dory....

Condolences to all involved. Sounded like a really tough situation.

Be careful out there

·
Registered
1 Posts
So sad for the victim and his/her family/friends. Scary for all of us rafters. But there is a lesson here. Uncoiled bowline. Ugh. Please everyone, keep your bowline in a throw bag or have it coiled and tied really really well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hope the person that left their dory in the river for weeks has learned a valuable lesson.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 15 of 15 Posts