Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from Fort Collins what is the best way to get to Pumphouse? Driving 34 through Estes Park looks a bit shorter but is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Shorter mileage longer drive time unless I-70 is a cluster then the drive time is the same or shorter. Good luck with the tourons stopping to look at elk near the top :p

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hwy 14/Cameron Pass to 125 South to Hwy 40 West to Hwy 9 South to GCR 1 is another option. I love that drive!

·
fat guy in a little boat
409 Posts
try the gould to rand cut-off from 14 to 125 instead of driving through walden. it saves like 20 miles and it's a real purdy road.
the turn is marked(<--Rand ). mm 53 on hwy14, like 12 miles past camerons

·
Registered
328 Posts
I live in Loveland and drive Trail Ridge frequently on weekends to get to Grand County. Its not faster to Fraser but I think its probably faster to Granby and parts beyond...besides, slowly cruising through the high country instead of doing stop and go at the twin tunnels seems much nicer to me.

If you know the road, its usually very easy to scare the bejesus out of the tourons cruising at 10 MPH above treeline. Just pull up on their bumper and keep pulling out like you want to pass. (This works even better if there is a 500 ft drop off next to the road). They will usually freak and pull over or practically stop so you can zoom by.

Now I don't advise it, but there is also some very good visibility up there so you just might consider passing the motor homes on the double yellow. This even more fun. The only probllem is you can't turn to look at their faces because you need to drive. This is a good job for your navigator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts