Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering who's going this year. This will be my first and I can hardly wait. It would be cool to meet some fellow buzzards up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Jared
733 Posts
I might make it up on Sunday, I'm hard to miss. I'll most likely have my family with me. 6'6" and 300 lbs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'll be there! My favorite festival of the year.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Me an much of my crew will be there. We finally registered early enough to get some of the sweet campsites that overlook Carter bridge rapid...so we will be able to see all of the action.

If its your first time...few things:

1. Don't miss the free BBQ that Next Adventure puts on Sat night. They are good burgers, and almost everyone makes it out then. Plus the music is generally good and there are silent auctions for nice gear. And a $5 raffle for an OS systems drysuit.

2. Several vendors offer free shuttles. They also have volunteers to help you carry up from the river. I was tipping our drivers with beers and jerky.

3. The event is technically no-Alcohol. Don't mess up the event's FS permit by drinking where you aren't supposed to. This doesn't apply to your campsite of course.

4. Don't miss the Ducky mass start, its hilarious. Especially if the top hole in Carter Bridge is really pumping.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I reserved a spot at fish creek. I'll be up early Friday to get a play run in. Just me and my boat. Red and gray Sotar cat.
Can you sign up for events there or should they be done online?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Pm me if you are going to be around and up for a run Friday.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks! Pm me if you are going to be around and up for a run Friday.

We will be heading down Friday after work, so a run is doubtful but not out of the question. You can't miss me and my crew, we all have all black military kokotat drysuits with Rubber Ducky patches on them. I also have an "OBEY" patch on mine.

The river is really low, I'm wondering if the gates for the slalom might all be in a line down river left at Carter bridge, that will make the ducky mass start less fun. Boo. Hssssss.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds great! I'm at fish creek and I'll have my red and gray sotar cat. IR Arch rival drysuit. Hope to meet some of you guys! Can't wait!

·
Registered
67 Posts
The DRL crew will be there again this year! We'll have a booth with multiple DRL framed Sotar cats and Sotar rafts available for demo. We also will have a Powder Coated River Gypsy Tunnel frame with folding oar towers up for the silent auction. Stop by the booth and introduce yourself, it's always nice to put a face on a fellow buzzard. We'll also be running shuttles all day long and the shuttle drivers would be happy with whatever tip you may have, especially the 12oz or 16oz variety, jerky works too!!!

We are looking forward to seeing you all!!!!

·
Jared
733 Posts
Carter, Lockaby, Fish creek, and Armstrong are the three closest camps, some are reservable and some are walk in only. There are more camps available (Sunstrip, Roaring river, and one below Carter falls but the name escapes me right now) so I wouldn't be too afraid to just drive up and find one. I'd consider the first 4 to be within stumbling distance of the festivities, and there are more than one band set to be playing in the camps this time. I will be playing up there Sunday, have to work Saturday :-(

·
Registered
248 Posts
Never been, was thinking about heading there after work friday, whats the word on where to camp?
Bumping for visibility....and....

Just a heads up that if you head up there without a campground, you can likely find a place to set up a tent by talking with people. Whitewater dirtbags all smell the same (mildew) so close quarters camping is not usually a problem, especially if you have beers.

I just checked the gauge...and the Clackamas has set a new 50 year low for this date (~860 cfs) - the mean for this date is 2600 cfs, no significant rain in the forecast so expect low flows.

We'll be camping at Lockaby this year, overlooking Carter Rapid. Sweet. I'll be the one with the black drysuit with a rubber ducky & OBEY patches on it. If you spot me and call me out by my username...I've got a beer or a white russian for you (if there's any left). its like Buzzard bingo!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well I couldn't make it there, one of the kids came home with a stomach virus And shared it with me, in a weird twist while I was on the bathroom floor resting my head in between vomiting I was browsing craigslist and stumbled upon a great deal an added an Nrs e140 to the fleet lol... hope everyone has a great time and ill try again next year

·
Jared
733 Posts
My buddy bought that Riken 14' in portland last night. Pretty good boat, pretty good deal. Hard to beat a gray Riken Pioneer for durability. It was a gear pig for an outfitter but had very little wear. It came with enough gear to get him on the river with his son. I've turned another person over to the dark side.

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
Buddy of mine took second in the IK slalom. Sounds like it was a blast. Wish I could have been there this year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts