Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by the quarantine, I want to row my raft solo all 58 miles in a day. My goal time is 12 hours.

The fastest known time is 10:24 set by two men with two sets of oars in one raft in 2017 (if you disagree with the FKT, please speak up). Flows were 2500 at Pump and 6k at Dot. I was one of those men.

I am going to launch at 0600 on the day before the full moon in June (4th this year) to optimize light and flows.

First, an invite. I think this could make a pretty cool festival, the other Gore race. My endurance runner friend is working on a foot route... it's 35 miles on mostly dirt Pump to Dot, I only know of the trail through Little Gore Canyon to avoid the road, would be sweet if we could time the finish of boat vs runner to be close.

Second, a discussion. If my boat is heavier, I move faster in the current, but it's harder to row a heavier boat. What's optimal? Do I want a 12' raft or a 14 footer? Do I rig a groover opposite my seat so I can groove and keep rowing or do I just stop if I have to? Is it okay to have a bow flower in the boat to help with food and hydration or is it more better solo?

Thanks y'all!

-Devo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Training day one

Ran Pump to State in just over 4 hours at 1650 on Sunday. Had a stiff headwind most of the time. Tried a 12' boat with our smallest center frame and my 10' counterweight Cataract oars. Neat hybrid setup, I got a lot of leverage on that small boat, but I needed to sit higher. Spend the afternoon sitting on my hypo kit. Felt like I wanted a bigger and heavier boat to maximize current advantage, and the light boat got pushed a bunch by the wind.

Also, the river was a zoo. I've never seen Pumphouse, Radium, Rancho, and State Bridge so full of private boaters. Radium Warm Springs is officially not secret, there were about 20 hikers there. Vibe was awesome on the water though, a whole bunch of people stoked to be out there.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
This...

Bucket boat, then you could add or subtract weight as desired
Exactly, bucket boats can be customized by adding or subtracting water into or out of boat, to fit river conditions or environmental conditions. It only takes 3 to 5 bucks to make a big difference in boat performance, water is heavy. Plus if you damage the floor it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey maybe go with a long boat, a high length to width ratio.
The same principal why longer skies go faster, and sweep boats on the MFS gain sweepage. It’s gotta help, my wide ass E140 does great in white water, but I work my ass off on the flats with that geometry. The Opposite should help ya going to dot zero.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took 5 days to do all 58 this week. Ran my yellow bumper 14.5' Hyside with a somewhat heavy load. Boat was almost as easy to move as the light 12 footer. Averaged 4 mph+ below Catamount drifting. Averaged 4 mph above Yarmony pushing most of the time. Rigged to trip Yarmony to Catamount.

We had two 16' self bailers carrying about the same weight as me, but I moved faster. Sitting deeper in the current is the way to go.

I like the bucket boat idea. We have a fleet of 16' buckets, I will try a heavy one of those next. Makes sense bucket boat goes faster. I dont want to have wet feet all day tho and don't want to spend time bailing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ran Pump to State in 3h32min on Thursday at 2100 or so. Had 4 folk and a dog in my 14' Hyside. I handed off the oars to a rookie at Rancho, made it there in under 2.5 hr. Feeling pretty good about that time, and body felt really good too. I easily could have kept pushing.

To the guy who was in the eddy on river left above Red Eye zipping up his PFD, looked up, saw me charging, pulled out in front, drifted sideways to the current while zipping up PFD, and then cussed me out for riding his ass through Yarmony:

Wasn't that mama bear and two cubs awesome?!?!?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bow flower?

Hey Devo,

I really cannot say much about your plan, it sounds fun, and I am offering myself as a bow flower to feed you and hydrate you. I can say that my last Grand Canyon trip was an experiment in athleticism, and we averaged 30 miles per day-rowing, because permit holders wife could only be gone for 9 days.....what worked really well there was to have me sit opposite my captain and assist row, pushing when he pulls and vise versa.
I would love to join you, if you do not already have that position filled.
LMK
Juls

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Juls - I am staying solo for the extra challenge. 3 solo boats racing now, I can't have an asterisk!

There is one tandem boat confirmed and a couple of kayaks too, tandem boat may accept a bow flower. I also have a bunch of guides on the fence. Come to Pump on Wed afternoon, worst case you have a night at guide camp. Lastly, we will have a chase vehicle stopping at all river access points so you can race and drop out if interested.

Less than 60 hours til' race time! AVA will provide chase and support. We cannot offer a shuttle back upstream though. We can get dropped boats to Dotsero. All y'all are invited!

We will be arriving at Pumphouse 3 Wednesday afternoon to rig and camp, launching 0600 Thursday.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Helluva day. Finished in 9:10, 7 minutes behind 2nd and 14 behind 1st. I went with a heavy boat, was a big mistake. Congrats to Jeremy Jorgensen on the win and breaking the 9 hour mark. Was so much fun, I can't wait to try again next year!

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cooler rowing to boot, badass. I think my back would be roached by the time I hit State Bridge.
I was sitting on a 4" paco :)

Seats are great for chilling, but you can't have proper form pulling with a seat, and a backrest is irrelevant for proper form pushing. Both strokes should go downhill, with your handles not really coming behind the towers. Most people use way too much arms and not enough body.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts