Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to go check out some new runs in my vicinity. What can people tell me about the "upper blue"? It gets a class 3-4 on American whitewater. Wondering where it gets it class 4 rating. Drove past it last week couldn't see anything while rubbernecking from hwy 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think of it as a Class III run. However, if you swim, it is long, rocky and cold. Maybe a class IV swim? It is pretty much read and run, as there isn't really anywhere to scout from.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on Matty. Thanks. How would it be now r2 in a mini max? I'm pretty confident in my class 3. Wanna run it tomorrow if my partner is up to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
It's running about 1500 right now and at that level it's rocking Class III+/IV and definitely a Class IV swim. use the little view area on the hill off Hwy 9 and you can overlook the Boulder Creek Rapid, then imagine swimming that stretch. The water is a supercooled fluid coming off the bottom of Lake Dillon - if it weren't moving, it would crystallize. But seriously, even if it's sunny out, make sure you've got head to toe splash gear and neoprene because the water is really cold.

The Upper Blue's a blast, R2 would be great in a mini-max.

Have fun & be safe!

-AH

·
Registered
224 Posts
I r2'd it Tuesday in my Mini Max with my wife. It was flowing about 1220 cfs. I think that the holes are the steepest between 1100-1200. 1500 the week before seemed more washed out and forgiving to me than the 1220 on Tuesday.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's definitely easier at 1,500. When hwy. 9 turns to 45 mph, look for a parking area in about 1/2 mile with 2 entrances (just past the campground) The north end of that parking lot gives you a good overview of the first set of rapids. Everything is read / run, like everyone else said, class III with a class IV swim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts