Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - So what is the deal with the train on the upper animas. Is it really a pain to get your gear in and camp on the river (kayaking - no raft support) OR it is easier to just run all 26 one day?

Also - I heard it is a creek boat run. Is that correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
To do an overnighter and camp at needleton. You need to have someone ride the train to unload your overnight gear and then load it in the morning. The conductors usually won't do that, you might be able to bribe them with some beer, but don't count on it.

At med to low flows, you can run in a playboat, but you might end up walking No Name. At high water or if your doing all 24 miles, I like to use the creek boat, just to save energy

·
Registered
147 Posts
The train is the way to go. It is necessary to have someone there to unload/ load, but try calling the commercial compnaies to see if they have a trip up there. If they do, they have someone there. Beer is necessary compensation for thier services.

Boat selection- depends on your mood. Play boats are fine if you've had your wheaties and a fat espresso. Creekers smooth it out and allow for sightseeing ( The last time I tried to sightsee in the gorges before Tacoma I dropped right on in a steep pourover and swam after getting trundled.) The diesel or the like is ideal- good tracking and good volume.

The day run is doable also. when are you coming down. I could do Sat. Call me @ 970.759.5476.

Eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts