Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a little info on this years race and last years. When will it be held this year?

Also, who were the top finishers in the kayak race last year, their times, and what kind of boats were they paddling. I am inquiring for the 8' and up divison. thanks

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Jed Selby won overall in a Diesel, so boat lengths don't necessarily matter...if you're good. The 8' under usually is more like 8'3 and under, which is most modern creekers.

Usually held 3rd weekend in Aug, but I haven't heard anything about this years event.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gore will be on Saturday, August 19th. Downriver only this year, no slalom etc. on Friday.

Beer garden and expo stay the same.

We'll be getting more up soon.

I haven't bumped my last post yet, but still looking for volunteers.

email me at [email protected] if you are interested in helping out.

Sam

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Are there any vids online of competing rafts from previous years? Thanks.

COUNT

·
Registered
12 Posts
Vids of Gore online

I am not aware of any video online. Luke at Whitewater photography has been doing the filming the past 2 years. I know he has made a DVD of last years race. You can contact him directly - [email protected]

·
suigeneris
337 Posts
inner tubes

Inner tube class is restricted to those with terminal cancer who have been told by their docter that they have less than 6 months to live.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Safety for GORE RACE NEEDED

I am standing in for Charlie Ebel this year in the safety region of the Gore Race. I need as many folks as I can get to help us out! Ideally, a couple of rafts, kayakers, and shore support would be key. For all rapids except river left at Kiurschbaum's, you will need to be able to paddle yourself down.

In addition to the usual swag, Keen footwear has been kind onough to provide their new river bootiy for all folks working on the Safety Crew. The catch is that in order for you to get some (booties), I need to have a definite answer prior to August 4th (next week).

If you have any questions, please contact me via: [email protected].

Thanks, ahead of time, for your help!

matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Matty S, check your email.

Gotta top last year's party, so you know what I've got planned for Saturday night this go around..... Hopefully the rangers stay away, and a fire ban doesn't get imposed....

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Re: Inner Tubes

jerrycurl said:
Is there really an inner tube class?
I boat with one of these guys - they are real deal class V boaters/tubers. Both of them completed the race last year, and actually beat a creature craft downriver. The guy I am friends with was a solid kayaker first. They have tubed Gore, Black rock (including Rigor Mortis), Big South, and a bunch of other stuff. Yeah everybody thinks that they are crazy, but there is also a group out in Cali that is running similar and bigger stuff. The Colorado boys aren't competing this year, but maybe the Cali crew will show up.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Just to up the sweetness of the kayak prizes, I am offering up two brand new Nomads to the FASTEST OVERALL woman and man. They will each walk away with a brand new Dagger Nomad.

http://www.dagger.com/product.asp?BoatType=WWKayak&BoatID=302

And they won't have to wait on them to be shipped. I will bring them straight to the awards ceremony.
The winners of the "Core of the Gore" will paddle away in a new creeker.
So get to training, the race is only a few weeks away!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Isn't the fastest overall likely to go to someone paddling a wildwater boat or wavehopper? Also, what is up with the race format, it seems like only having two classes for kayaks will mean that the aforementioned types of boats will have a significant edge in the "over 8.1 feet" class.

·
Registered
851 Posts
No, not really faster. One would think that. Look at last years results. #1 man overall was Jed Selby in a Diesel in 22min 23 seconds. Mike Pagel was the fastest in the long boats and his time was 22 min. 57seconds. The long boat got beat by 34 seconds. On the same note, I paddled a Response and Jed still won by nearly 5 seconds. Behind me was Brett and by less then a second. He was in a Rocker. Way shorter then a Response. As for women, from what I can tell there was one division and three women in it.
As for lengths this year, I have yet to look at them. But truly the winner is the fastest person down the canyon. Also, wavehopper and wildwater paddlers generally don't paddle them full time. If they did happen to win, im sure they could use a new creek boat. On a side note, how would you do it? What would be best for the racers? I’m sure Mark has open ears as the race is still a few weeks away. Im game for whatever. Just looking forward to a great time!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I like <7, 7-11 or 10, and >11 or 10 this way people who like to playboat gore can race, the creek boats can race and the big boats can race. Last year not enough payboats entered but I know a couple more who will enter this year. Without this designation why would anyone race a playboat but it would still be fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've heard some rumors of a Hooligan-esque race. Is this true? Can we put together an obnoxious floating thing and take it down pumphouse? Need to know so we can start re-building our Fibark craft...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts