Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S. Metro boaters...Union looks like it may have a little run for the first time in a while...

Remember: Check the Chatfield Gage before you go to see if dam releases have changed: Below Chatfield

Here's the Union gage:
Union gage

Here's some notes on character from 2007. It's probably changed since...and will change again with some high flows. Beginners... above 1000 it starts getting pushy...above 2000 the upper hole could be a keeper.

Union top hole:
950ish - glassy, fast and fun
1500 - big retentive pile, fast, fun
2510 - spooky

Union Hollywood:
400 - 1000: fun to surf, chundery
1000 - 1300: alot to handle
>1300: have shoulder doc lined up

Union Hawaii 5.0
950ish - glassy, slow, hard to spin
1500 - glassy, eddy service, really, really, really good
2510 - big munchy pile

Union lower hole
1500 - great, a bit shallow
2510 - great, glassy and smooth, mystery moves occur on the river right side of the fold (where'd he go?)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing Dan. With releases bumping up out if chatfield and large rounds of precip on the way we could see Hawaii 5-0 like we haven't seen since 07. Fun!

In other news, bear creek is ready for action too! Love the spring storms.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got out to Union for a bit tonight and I think Dan's notes will still be pretty accurate. The gage said 1050 and I spent most of my time at Hawaii 5-0, which was glassy; a pretty fun wave for a guy with no tricks. Hollywood was fun but chundery and great roll practice. The water is also cleaning up with the nice flush that we're getting.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Chatfield releases went up again yesterday. They are ~300 acre ft above full elevation and will look to release more than inflow to get the level of the res back down. My two cents are that continued rain in the forecast will keep bumping up inflows and thus outflows to manage elevation.

If chatfield is above 27076 acre ft, they will release to bring it down.

Approaching super surf levels now. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
u-hole is good for loops and enders above 900 ish ,friendlier than Hollywood, or the top hole when it gets big...you can side and front surf indefinitely....have not liked the bottom drop much since they changed it..it was trashy but fun...

Great after work practice area!

Further down river they tore out the good sized/straight forward drop at Florida and replaced it with a block or two of small wave trains/ripples with one small drop whose hole might be playable with the right water levels....looked like it might be a place to practice SUP on very easy whitewater

·
Super Moderator
3,891 Posts
Did they ever take out the inflatable low-head dam at the Zuni Power Plant?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Union Hollywood:
400 - 1000: fun to surf, chundery
1000 - 1300: alot to handle
>1300: have shoulder doc lined up

Union Hawaii 5.0
950ish - glassy, slow, hard to spin
1500 - glassy, eddy service, really, really, really good
2510 - big munchy pile
Never been there, but I was just looking at the google earth and it look there are seven fetaures. Which ones are hollywood and hawaii 5.0?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
hollywood is the 2nd one ...hawaii 5-0 is 5th one[maybe 4th ]...u-hole is at bottom of rapid 2 blocks down river...they are doing projects between florida and downtown... mostly streamside improvements like parks ,bike paths,landscaping,but also some rock landings that add character and access points......don't know about zuni

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Paddled union today. Lots of fun. 5-0 has a big pile on it and an auto spin pocket on surfers left. Several other features are good at this level too.

I suspect union might run for a while given that chatfield is above "full" elevation and there is a lot of inflow right now. I'd get it while you can while its up through... never know when they might turn it off.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Union just stepped up...645 Friday dawn surf anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Super Moderator
3,891 Posts
Just checked GoogleEarth and it looks like the low head dam was gone at least a year ago. And good riddance to that fatal drop....

now it's got some drop / aereation structures, hopefully they'll be runnable when the water's up for anyone that wants to do urban river running (with or without their chickens).

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its real good this morning. Big pile. Also, if you lost a condom, I found it. River right eddy.
ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1431697811.803388.jpg

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Yeah that's mine .Mail it to me I'll clean it up and reuse it.

this is wild how much stuff is cranking.....2900 makes SoPlatte town run worth doing ..lots of play spots from dam to downtown and the flat goes fast...don't take usually minor stuff too lightly....one of the last times it was 2700 I tried to drop in backward on some funky seam that feeds into the hole at Oxford and got a high speed clobbering crossing the fence between the two currents ..lost a paddle.....cherry was at good level yesterday,from dam I think......bear down to levels reasonable for mere mortals.....Waterton 1600 and rising, I guesstimate 500 ish on foxton; 1600 -650 (below Cheeseman) - 118 (bailey gauge) leaving a remainder of 832 at least 1/3 to 1/2 ( maybe 2/3) is coming from Deer,Elk,and Buffalo creek into N Fk...I bet Bailey is higher than 118 ...CLR creek med low but great for this early...pretty psyched

Chutes at apx 1000 lots of fun for low intermediates and still survivable for beginner..second chute play spot in

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Where exactly are the No.Fk. gauges? At Grant is just Roberts or includes Geneva Creek?At Bailey is above or below the town,how far?Was there a gauge by the old put in,I vaguely remember or am I pulling a W and misremembering...is there still a Pine gauge?

Thanks

What happened to the 'start new thread button? I must be blind...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Its real good this morning. Big pile. Also, if you lost a condom, I found it. River right eddy.
View attachment 9881

I haven't been to Union in years - which drop is that? I don't remember it... I remember the top, Hollywood, and the last one which used to eat up those that weren't ready!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone ever check out the "wave" at the bottom of the spillway/aeration right next to the parking lot at C470/greenway trail? Here: https://goo.gl/maps/uspWJ

It's below Chatfield, and likely less condoms there... I've looked at it, but never paddled right there. Just looks like it's surfable and huge eddies while they release.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 470 hole is reported to be ok, but trestle near confluence and 5-0 at Union are usually better at high flows.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
There is a big glassy slow"all day wave" right below the dam....there is another easy rapid before C470 that might be fun this high...C470 drop straight forward to run ,certainly solid III at this level ,I don't know what advanced play moves can be done on it ,but it is a turbulent hole ride in the 600- 1500 range never did it this high...mineral drop is easy to run but hard get on or off of surfing at 1000ish sucks anyway..

So is Hawaii 5-0 # 3 or 4 or 5? have played all of them know one is best but I thought it was #5.....watertalk and USGS are giving conflicting flows is Union at 1900 or 2900 Dan?..2900 at Englewood which includes Bear Crk.'s-650 CFS makes sense but the gauge is at Union and Watertalk says 2880 at Union,and they are linked to USGS:confused:...1900 out of Chatfield

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Oh ,here is another method of reckoning for what is actually in Foxton....there is a Trumball gauge ,currently 896 and only a few very rinkydink tribs between it and Waterton ....so Foxton might be more like 700 which is near optimum for that run,600- 800 is prime ...higher did not seem better...Does anyone know if there is or was a gauge at Pine?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts