Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 years ago, I kayaked this stretch with mixed results. Once very badly, once slightly less bad and a third clean. I have had a thing for it ever since. The first time we ran it, it was running 1000cfs.

Has anybody rafted this stretch? It's been on my to do list, but also on my I'm over it list. What do you think?

Uncompahgre River

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have kayaked that section (the section below Ouray and above KOA) I think you could DO a raft down that stretch but if would have to be one of those specialized mini-rafts from the east coast with the foot straps in it...

My concern with a raft would be lack of ability to avoid MOST of the hazards. AND if anyone was in the water there is tons of debris from the mining days (the danger to a raft is greater than the danger to a creekboat for example). If the river didn't hurt the swimmer the shredded metal in the river might.

I don't recommend this section for a raft but I am just a kayaker who guided for a while.

Uncompahgre River[/quote]

·
Registered
114 Posts
The run gets pretty serious above 700CFS. 1000 is as high as I have done it. My buddy Jeff did it in a mini cat at about 1000. He nailed it, but it was intense. He nearly flipped in the big hole at the s-turn. That would be a really bad place to swim at that level. I don't know that a safety boater would do any good in there.

Tommy C.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts