Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFPXm_xErwI

Dave Scadden Paddlesports -

"Dave Scadden's unbelievable new 2017 Carbon Predator raises the bar of one person pontoon craft performance even higher with an astounding hull weight of
8 lbs…yes you read right 8 lbs.!!! The new Carbon Predator is 30% lighter than the standard Predator and 30% larger for added gear and elbow room.
It boasts a class V whitewater rating and 900 lb. capacity so it will handle anything you dare drop into.
The new Predator come equipped with Dave's radical new 100% carbon directional blade oars which give you 3 times the power of a standard oar at 1/3 of the weight. We weigh them in ounces not pounds. There is not another 100% carbon oar like it in the industry. It also comes with Dave's exclusive new carbon footrest bar system for extreme performance and weight savings.
Combine the extreme light weight of the new Predator with a longer sleeker running line and carbon oars and you have a rocket ship on water. The new Predator is fast. Really fast!
The Carbon Predator has set a new standard for one person pontoon craft performance… Just what you would expect from Dave Scadden!"

AND it's on sale, to boot! Regular $2200, on sale for $999

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I expect to see a flotilla of them my next GC trip. I hope he sells them in yellow so from the sky walk it will look like a rubber ducky race. If there is one thing we know about him is he believes there is a sucker born every minute and the fact that he is still in business proves he is right.

·
Super Moderator
3,891 Posts
As soon as I saw "Class V Rated" in the title, I knew what this was about...

I'm sure it would be great in all the "Class V" rapids on Browns (maybe). :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2,866 Posts
Funny, when I clicked on that link it kind of started to smell in here. I stopped the vid before the smell of bullshit filled the room. Windows open now, I will be ok.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Ok, we have been bagging on Scadden for a long time. But his boats are really good for fisherman and most recreational applications. He has tried to meet the needs of a certain market and its just not ours. And that's ok. He says "Class V Rated" and I'm sure his boat would hold for at least 1 drop through Hounds tooth on the NFP. I'd run it in a Scadden! I would totally recommend a Scadden to the Fly fisherman looking to get out on the river. That boat would be very capable on 80% of the runs in Idaho.

I think hes trying to raise the standard in his market, Just saying...

·
Registered
305 Posts
No way would I run that POS thought a Class V. Also don't understand the use of SUP paddles for oars, the offset angle on the blades it to assist with blade angle when it enters the water. I don't understand what benefit it would give in this configurations. All I see that it would do would make your push stroke less effective.

Am i way off base here?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
These boats look good to me. Sure they are not an AIRE, Maravia, or Sotar type boat. But nobody is saying that the Scadden is better that a Hyside are they? No, we all know that. But to put up a Scadden that can do some mild Vs against a Sotar is creating a strawman argument.

Its not the boat, its the captain and I would captain a Scadden in some but not all class V.

https://youtu.be/JT9BAEfPvis

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
He says "Class V Rated" and I'm sure his boat would hold for at least 1 drop through Hounds tooth on the NFP.
haha, you are joking right? I'd put money on not right side up, and then likely not with oars or maybe even all inflated chambers. Coming in from above of course, not putting in there. If you don't get surfed and flip in one of the lead in holes, that sucker would flip when the tooth wave comes back over the rear of your tubes. Unless of course you have a perfect line in there. Which doesn't happen except when the moon is blue. POS, saying Class V is irresponsible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, we have been bagging on Scadden for a long time. But his boats are really good for fisherman and most recreational applications. He has tried to meet the needs of a certain market and its just not ours. And that's ok. He says "Class V Rated" and I'm sure his boat would hold for at least 1 drop through Hounds tooth on the NFP. I'd run it in a Scadden! I would totally recommend a Scadden to the Fly fisherman looking to get out on the river. That boat would be very capable on 80% of the runs in Idaho.

I think hes trying to raise the standard in his market, Just saying...

Devil's advocate here. From the videos and the website he's obviously directed to the fishing market, and I certainly agree that an experienced boater could get this down some tough water. But doesn't the fact that a 900 lb weight capacity and a class V rating in the primary advert inflate things in a bit of an irresponsible way? If I was rowing a boat this light in class V rapid I'd happily trade SUP paddles and the carbon fiber for proper oars and a little more weight.

I really don't know much about the market he's going for and dirtbagkayaker I like a lot of your posts, so not looking to stir shit here just interested in what you guys/gals think about the ethics of the marketing strategy.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
@ jj I get the over statement in the sells pitches. Your right but I have boated a 9' Clark Fork from Cabelas down the Lower 5. Just saying. I don't think its ideal but Scadden are not complete shit. They are awesome fishing cats. And some of the best in their category. They are no Sotar.

@ Ihowmt, Let do this. Put your money where your mouth is. I'll run Hounds Tooth on the Lower 5 under 2500 cfs. You buy the boat and video it. If I come out wrong side up I'll buy the $999 scadden from you and then eat it with a fork! If I come out right side up. You eat the boat with a fork and I video it. Are you in? I have time this weekend.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
@ Ihowmt, Let do this. Put your money where your mouth is. I'll run Hounds Tooth on the Lower 5 under 2500 cfs. You buy the boat and video it. If I come out wrong side up I'll buy the $999 scadden from you and then eat it with a fork! If I come out right side up. You eat the boat with a fork and I video it. Are you in? I have time this weekend.
LOL, sorry, I have no interest in condoning buying such a boat, nor in engaging in a wager regarding it. Plus, Hounds is not technically on the Lower 5 sorry. The put in for the Lower 5 is below it. If you put in there (mid way through Hounds, above the tooth), you only get one section of the rapid. Entering and running there is WAY easier than running the entire thing. Putting in there is not running Hounds. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
There were two crafts like this on the Eagle last season during highwater. They went into the Edwards mile (III-IV) with waders. Both flipped, swam, lost oars, one guy was missing. Don't take these down anything big.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
How many boats have you rowed that have a hole drilled in the middle of the oar..... and oar pivots on said bolt.......no oar lock necessary......pure genius.....got to be better than pins and clips....:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The boats in the "Pontoon boat playday" that you posted DBK at least had frames and the material has some thickness to it (still not as thick as a raft by Sotar, AIRE, Moravia, etc.). The oars used in that video are Sawyer SST's, which while they have a smaller 1 3/8" shaft than full size oarshafts/blades you'd find on a full size raft or cataraft, are at least appropriate for the craft with a carbon fiber/glass shafts and high quality blades. The seats resting on metal frames are a reasonable set up to put the cajones the oars to if needed to make a must move maneuver. They work.

I would pay to see a video of a guy taking one of these down Class V.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,235 Posts
It boasts a class V whitewater rating and 900 lb. capacity so it will handle anything you dare drop into.
Where are the test results that substantiate the claim

I knew a lawyer that made a shitload of money off a case in which he sued Kawasaki over the claimed 150 pound rider weight on a 3 wheeler.

Somebody should go run some Vs in this thing so your widow can get rich.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Where are the test results that substantiate the claim

I knew a lawyer that made a shitload of money off a case in which he sued Kawasaki over the claimed 150 pound rider weight on a 3 wheeler.

Somebody should go run some Vs in this thing so your widow can get rich.
The "Class V rating" can't mean it's good to go on any Class V. No craft can handle all class V runs. I know class V's that rafts can't do, and class V's that kayaks can't, but rafts can. That said, I can't imagine doing a class V in that thing, and 900 lbs. has to be the point at which it sinks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't see what you guys are talking about, the foot brace is held on by key ring caribiners, and the seat is the same kind you find on a recreational kayak. You could totally use them when pushing hard to crank on the 1 inch diameter oarshafts though anything. This boat is legit...

Just kidding, looks to me like it would break the 1st time you really needed to get it moving around an obstable.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
It looks like a Pack Raft and a pool toy had a baby. The glued on oarlocks will hold up to class V for sure. I have had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Scadden and watching him in action at a Sportsman Outdoor show. Quite the salesman. After looking at his products up close, I'd fish from them.....maybe.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts