Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pins are getting chewed by the clips. Rather than going with PVC over the bolt, I was thinking about UHMW. Will the oar will pop off the pin more due to the self lube nature of UHMW? I guess I can close the clip a little bit. Curious what other peoples experiences are with a UHMW pin?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have never used UHMW for pins and clips. I like the stainless steel sleeves that come on the Cascade pins and clips, as you said the NRS ones tend to get chewed up. I use Pins and Clips for big water and open oar locks in smaller technical water. Cascade Outfitters Whitewater Rafting Equipment: Thole Pin, (1) Maybe they could just sell you the sleeve better than switching out sleeves all the time because they are chewed up.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have used UHMW on my clips, they work great! I will be replacing them this season but they have 6 years on them and a lot of miles. The Cascade pins are not the same size as NRS (much smaller od) I had mine made in a machine shop. The od was a little larger than the 3/4 electrical conduit NRS provides. Nice fit makes them very quit & smooth. Delron works well also.

·
Registered
56 Posts
One thing that I was looking at to replace the pvc on my pins was ABS pipe instead of PVC. I have been told it is stronger by the people of Home Depot. Whatever you end up doing report back with your results becaue I too will be replaceing mine in the next season or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts