Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Agreed.

But money, once again, has won.

Did they at least make him agree to clean up in Rifle?? Doubt it...

·
Registered
418 Posts
As I understand it, most of the debris in Rifle is on private land and the owner asked to leave the remenants as a memorial to the project. Have you heard of anyone asking him to clean-up Rifle gap and him refusing? I'd be interested to know (as a past resident I really wanted him to, but then as I scratched the surface (barely) I ran into private property issues.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Personally, no. I also was not aware that the debris was on private land.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realize this will bring a lot of money to the area but what about environment impact? How many bolts are they gonna drill into the rock to support this bs? What if it breaks and the material ends up in the river? Bad idea jeans!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi,

As I understand it, this article isn't complete, and this not actually a done deal. There evidently is an appeal of one aspect of this decision and a separate lawsuit against the State park agency on the issuance of the permit.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
458 Posts
Good news for now...

But...

I am willing to bet that it will be passed. Money ALMOST ALWAYS wins.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They are going to put nearly 9,000 boreholes in the river banks to hold the 1,200 anchors and concrete pads used to support the spans.

Rifle Gap was on private land and the landowners did want the pads to remain as keepsakes of the project.

·
Registered
253 Posts
"Drawing visitors to Colorado to see this work will support jobs in the tourism industry and bring attention to the tremendous outdoor recreation opportunities,” Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said.

Bullshit!!!!

What a colossal waste of money and resources!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
is everyone angry?

Hi everyone. I can understand the environmental concerns, plus bringing people to our fair (and quiet) state, but has anyone considered it's going to be just beautiful?

Christo is a world renowned artist I learned about in elementary school who funds his own art AND CLEAN UP. he produces renderings of what his ideas could be and then sells these to raise the funding to make it happen.

I'm not an advocate of destroying nature ever, but I think this is going to be an experience of a lifetime to paddle with friends and family through a moving piece of art.

I'd like to suggest if you have concerns to the project instead of trying to kill the dream outline concerns that you have and get in touch with the project with these concerns to try and make the project happen AND not effect our environment.

That is you could always keep the negative energy flowing and put it towards killing the dream too. best of luck.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Hi everyone. I can understand the environmental concerns, plus bringing people to our fair (and quiet) state, but has anyone considered it's going to be just beautiful?

Christo is a world renowned artist I learned about in elementary school who funds his own art AND CLEAN UP. he produces renderings of what his ideas could be and then sells these to raise the funding to make it happen.

I'm not an advocate of destroying nature ever, but I think this is going to be an experience of a lifetime to paddle with friends and family through a moving piece of art.

I'd like to suggest if you have concerns to the project instead of trying to kill the dream outline concerns that you have and get in touch with the project with these concerns to try and make the project happen AND not effect our environment.

That is you could always keep the negative energy flowing and put it towards killing the dream too. best of luck.
No, not all of us angry but most of us who think its cool choose to not comment at this point. I have only been involved in about 6000 threads started about this and I generally come away angry so I will do my best to not get involved this time but dont think you are alone in thinking its ok. My favorite comment is that its a waste of money. Everybody talks about stimulating the economy and here is a project that will and its private money so let the rich spend. Doesnt bother me at all.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Word around the campfire is that parks plans to ration private boats / boaters during the display.

Going to be interesting to watch this one play out to say the least.

Yep art....

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, not all of us angry but most of us who think its cool choose to not comment at this point. I have only been involved in about 6000 threads started about this and I generally come away angry so I will do my best to not get involved this time but dont think you are alone in thinking its ok. My favorite comment is that its a waste of money. Everybody talks about stimulating the economy and here is a project that will and its private money so let the rich spend. Doesnt bother me at all.
Thank you

·
Registered
253 Posts
The spending of this money is the issue. People can’t get home and small business loans, but a project like this can be funded? We have a failing education system that is out of date and underfunded; so much so that we are cutting teachers, and increasing class sizes. And money (doesn’t matter who’s) is going to be wasted on this. We are in the midst of an energy crisis and we are going to spend valuable resources creating these materials, trucking them out there, and installing them. For what? Colorado is so beautiful why add some man made drapes only to take them down shortly after.
This is a waste.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Word around the campfire is that parks plans to ration private boats / boaters during the display.

Going to be interesting to watch this one play out to say the least.

Yep art....
Limit boating? Like permits? Will we have to pay to float under it? So un-Ark.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
If it does go through....it will be an area to avoid for a few years.....unless you like to be stuck in traffic. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
458 Posts
The spending of this money is the issue. People can’t get home and small business loans, but a project like this can be funded? We have a failing education system that is out of date and underfunded; so much so that we are cutting teachers, and increasing class sizes. And money (doesn’t matter who’s) is going to be wasted on this. We are in the midst of an energy crisis and we are going to spend valuable resources creating these materials, trucking them out there, and installing them. For what? Colorado is so beautiful why add some man made drapes only to take them down shortly after.
This is a waste.
It is, supposedly, all out of his own pocket. But, what most people don't consider is the countless hours that have been put in, over the years, drawing up the paper work, drafting environmental impact plans, the phone calls, the luncheons, the meetings...etc..etc..I would LOVE to see the total on that. I bet it is STAGGERING.

Wouldn't that money have been better spent protecting a river, locking up another fine chunk of land to protect from ourselves or reversing damage that has already been done.

That would just make WAY TOO MUCH sense...

1 - 20 of 140 Posts