Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience using tyvek jumpsuits on a river as a low cost exposure layer? I'm thinking its a cheap way to keep your neoprene dry, windscreen, and sheds water for splashing ...

Of course you look like a bunch of BP employees on a beach ...

comments?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can't believe that that's a good idea because what's to stop the water from coming in through the neck and wrists? You be a big water balloon if you ever did roll up.

Splash tops a cheap and have neoprene on the wrists and neck.

I guess you could duct tape it to your neck and wrists :p

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I was thinking more for rafting. But your concern is valid. I guess the suits would make a nice "once you get to camp" protection much better than a plastic hoodie that's going to tear or a goretex jacket that is $$$, doesn't cover your legs (if sitting in a camp chair), and ultimately will get saturated anyhow ...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tyvek is supposed to be a vapor barrier, hence why they use it in housing. The tyvek should in theory then act like poor man's gore tex. I'm thinking the suit probably isn't going to work well for high exertion activities.

Its more well suited to the "relax in camp" and don't freeze from the exposure to rain, wind, etc.

I think you can get a suit for $4 and they pack nice and tight. I've seen these given out for football games as freebie rain ponchos .... probably cheap insurance to stay dry and warm ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts