Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably not what you're expecting, but you gotta check out the second paragraph. Much bigger river down here in T-Town, but it was running at 39,000 cfs at the time, which is still really high. And best I can tell, this is less than 50' upstream of a classic drowning-machine low-water dam. Video clip here

Tulsa woman rescued from Arkansas River

By MATT BARNARD, World Staff Writer
6/24/2008 7:05 PM
Last Modified: 6/24/2008 10:00 PM

Police rescued a Tulsa woman who fell into the Arkansas River and stayed afloat by latching onto a pile of tree limbs Tuesday afternoon.

The woman was lying on the debris and drinking from a liquor bottle when authorities pulled her from the water, said Allen Olbert, a park patroller for the River Parks Authority.

Shelly Minyard jumped into the river to get a basketball she saw floating near the west side of the Pedestrian Bridge when she went under the water and then climbed onto the brush pile, he said. She was unhurt, and after being pulled to safety, she was arrested on complaints of public intoxication and illegally swimming in the river.

The thin layer of sticks kept Minyard from sinking in the 10-foot water and being pulled to a nearby low-water dam, where she likely would have drowned, Olbert said.

“It’s a pretty terrifying deal to see someone floating on debris,” he said.

A passerby called for help when he saw Minyard in the water, Olbert said. It was unclear how far she had traveled in the river, which was moving about 5 mph. By MATT BARNARD, World Staff Writer

·
Registered
58 Posts
?????????

I know I shouldn't laugh, that this is serious business, but that's some funny shit. They yanked her out, and gave her a tix???? Maybe next year at FIBARK someone should get drunk and float on debris for the hulagan race.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts