Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday (9/13) at least two floaters experienced catastrophic tube damage while floating the private property section of the Lower Blue river below Green mountain reservoir. It is believed to be in at least one or more of the first couple diversion dams below the canyon section of the river.
My boat experienced a 3" slice thru the bottom of the left front tube. Looked like a cut made by a utility knife...Another floater had a 4 foot gash thru his outer shell...Flows were ~750 cfs

Beware floating the lower blue!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow! Very bad news. Sorry to hear of this bad situation. What do you suppose it is? Trash, Bad wood, random sharp rock? Did the cut look ripped or sliced? I usually get in there each fall. I have some reservations now...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My boat had a definite slice all the way thru the tube. Later on I noticed what looked like a section of box tubing that had been pounded into the riverbed and was sticking up from the bottom about 8-10" right in the center drop of one of the diversion dams...something like this could have done it and it would appear that they are in multiple locations...bummer...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for posting LongmontRafter. I am still very sad and heartbroken about the damage to my Aire and my lost rod/reel. My damage is more of a tear/rip not a clean slice/cut. Definitely from one of the first few weirs. Be on the the look out!

I will get my boat fixed and I will continue to float the Lower Blue. Razor wire will need to be stretched across the river before I stop floating it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is believed to be in at least one or more of the first couple diversion dams below the canyon section of the river.
My buddy and I were discussing this today, I don't think the first couple diversions are part of Blue Valley Ranch. They are still private water, but part of the Spring Creek area I believe. Not that it matters, if someone still put up some raft-ripping paraphernalia in the river that really sucks. Anyways, don't go bashing Mr. Jones quite yet, could be some other guy with a vendetta upriver...

Had a friend float through there last weekend and he didn't report anything of the sort...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We were well within the Blue Valley ranch when I noticed my deflated tube. As much as Danny_750 indicates his damage occurred in the first few Weirs, I think there are a few booby traps in there...fyi

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nathan from AW has posted in the other thread asking for more information and/or pictures. If someone can post detailed information on the location of these hazards, I can get that information to the right people.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did get a decent gopro vid of the first few drops out of the canyon...I will review it tonight to see if anything shows up...

·
Super Moderator
4,227 Posts
Here's Nathan Fey's post asking for photos so AW can look into the issue:

If anyone has plans on going down there this week, please try to take a picture of the location and the metal object. Send to nathan at americanwhitewater dot org

·
Registered
85 Posts
My buddy and I were discussing this today, I don't think the first couple diversions are part of Blue Valley Ranch. They are still private water, but part of the Spring Creek area I believe. Not that it matters, if someone still put up some raft-ripping paraphernalia in the river that really sucks. Anyways, don't go bashing Mr. Jones quite yet, could be some other guy with a vendetta upriver...

Had a friend float through there last weekend and he didn't report anything of the sort...
I am pretty sure all of the weir structures below the bridge are on BVR property.I live in Spring Creek (Blue Valley Acres 1) and I don't know of any of my neighbors that would do such a thing, most of us float that section and fought tooth and nail with Mr. Jones to retain access to the river when he bought off the powers that be during the land swap several years back that gave him private control of the then public property. Do I believe that he has put devices to damage boats in those weirs on purpose? No. Would it surprise me if he did ? No.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BVR is huge...

The following link shows the breakdown of private/BVR/BLM land...

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media...ley.Par.98924.File.dat/BlueValleyE_100web.pdf

bluebtr is correct, most of the land is BVR property...had no idea of the expanse of this guys property...

As to the intent to damage boats I can only speculate. I've managed to float this stretch a few times over the last couple of years and haven't had a problem til now. Like I said, I did see what looked like a fence post sticking up from the bottom of the river in one of the dams... it wasn't sticking up high enough to damage a boat but it was there and would come into play at lower water...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts