Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new boat from a place in Auburn, California. Now I need to have it shipped from there to Ft. Smith, Arkansas. Anyone have any leads on the best/cheapest way to go about this? Any help on the matter would be very much appreciated. Thanks. Dan-o

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hi Dan,

I shipped a very heavy 18' Avon from Illinois to Arizona a few years ago. UPS in my area wouldn't touch it because of weight and size.

I contacted a common carrier trucking firm, and they did it at a pretty reasonable cost, although I no longer recall what it was.

One time I had to drive almost 40 miles to a depot to pick up a boat because there was no delivery in my area. So have the seller investigate what companies are in their area that also deliver in yours.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's been a while since I used their services, but you might try Forward Air. They ship from large cities to other large cities. As such, you would probably have to drive to your nearest metro area, but it should be around $100 total. That sounds like a lot of money, but some of the trucking companies actually have the nerve to ask for $300 to ship stuff! Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looked into them already, and they no longer do it since being bought out by another company. Thanks for the reply Outlaw! Anyone else?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've had good luck with Old Dominion freight lines. Whoever you use, if it's a truck freight company, find one with a dock near you and do it dock-to-dock. If you want residential delivery it definitely adds to logistical problems for a trucker. UPS freight has a 150lb. maximum, so when we shipped a 14' raft a few years ago we took the thwarts out and shipped those separately and got the raft/roll under the limit. Just rolled it in heavy plastic/visqueen and duct taped the heck out of it and it shipped just fine no damage. When shipping don't get all hinky about details - - tell them weight and dimensions and they'll give you a quote. If you want pampered service it will definitely cost more and lots of freight companies will just turn away. If you're willing to wrap the boat in plastic or canvas and take a chance, it will probably arrive in good shape and the guy giving you the quote won't get all nervous and look for a way out of the deal. Once it's bundled and taged in a warehouse someplace, those guys don't care what's inside, they just pick it up and load and move it out. Good luck,

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Dan-O,

I have used grayhound as well to ship play boats to surrounding states but never as far away as CA. Don't know what current length restrictions are but it is worth a computer check or call. At the time I used them it was by far the cheapest way.

dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dan-O,

I have used grayhound as well to ship play boats to surrounding states but never as far away as CA. Don't know what current length restrictions are but it is worth a computer check or call. At the time I used them it was by far the cheapest way.

dave
Thanks Dave! Pretty sure GH's size restrictions don't allow for the boat I'm getting shipped, but I'll double check. By the way - this is Danny Smith you're talking to.. I hope you're doing well old friend! :cool:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
oops, forgot.

I have done a lot of rafts and such with Con-Way. They have a terminal here in Jenks area and I looked and they have one in Ft Smith as well. It is a lot cheaper if you ship to a terminal instead of an address.

dave

·
Registered
864 Posts
ABF, Arkansas Best Freight, is headquartered in Ft. Smith, look under Arkansas Best Corp. if they have a run out Cali way they might give you a discount if the truck is returning with less than a full load.

·
Registered
787 Posts
+1 for Old Dominion. I had them ship a boat from UT to Portland. Arrived on time and hassle free. I think it cost about $400 for the boat, oars and frame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looked into them already, and they no longer do it since being bought out by another company. Thanks for the reply Outlaw! Anyone else?
Too bad. Is that a recent development? I used Forward Air last summer to ship a boat from Portland to Nashville.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've used Diamond freight with success a couple times.

If you choose to use a freight liner to ship your boat make sure you add: "Top load only!" to your shipping instructions. They will put a crate on your boat if you don't.... you don't want that to happen

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure how it actually worked out, but I shipped my 14 ft Avon from Davis, CA to Easthampton, MA for $100 by UPS. I took the thwarts out, rolled it to fit in an old fridge box and took it to a local UPS store.

I was expecting more, but after measuring and weighing, they told me it would be $100. So, it might be worth throwing it in a box and taking it to the store to see what happens, each time I looked online I was seeing something in the neighborhood of $300.

Sounds like your shipping a kayak based on the GH length restrictions you talked about, I'm pretty sure that changes things from a weight restriction to a length restriction. For that I would suggest going to your local paddle shop and see how they ship boats. If you can get it shipped from the local paddle shop in Auburn you might be able to get the commercial shipping price which can be better.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts