Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have poked around in the forum reading older posts, but still don't really know what to sell my raft for, so am hoping you all can share some advice. The challenge is that the boat is pretty old (1995 or 1996), but the gear is in great condition and is high end, or at least was at the time I bought it!

It is a 14' Aire (143R), set up for both paddling with footcups and for rowing. Bought it when I retired from guiding, and after taking it down rivers like the Middle Fork of the Salmon, the Grand Canyon, Rogue, etc. I really have not used it much for the past 10 years after getting in to kayaking. Excellent condition, no patches, holds air for days, new floor aircell.

Gear: Cambridge Welding steel breakdown frame, Cambridge Welding full size dry box, 4 Sawyer MX composite one piece counterbalanced oars. Large Gott cooler in good shape, home made wood floorboard.

I would prefer to sell the package to keep it simple, since if I get another boat it will be a cataraft. But I would be interested in your thoughts on the value of the boat alone. I appreciate any thoughts you have-Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not trying to sell here, I have a friend who is interested but I have no clue what to ask.

Regarding original cost, I believe retail price for the package was $5,500 - $6,000.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'd say 1000, 1800 is high even for a mid 90s Hypalon raft. I have a friend looking for a used Aire but would not go more than 1000 for this based on what else is on the market in that price range. Gear sounds nice but like you said it is 20 year old high end gear, but, if the frame and box are in good shape they should be as good as new.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just sold my 30 year old hypalon self bailer, frame/oars/drybox/cooler for $2500. The boat was in excellent shape with no holes or damage. I had someone else willing to pay $2700 but it already sold.

If it is in as good of shape as you say you can probably get $3000 out of it if you're not in a hurry. I'd start there. You can always negotiate the price, or lower it if you're not getting nibbles.

Or maybe used gear goes for a lot more out here?

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
20 years ago that boat was $1800. This mentality is why I bought a new raft.
Both of these guesses are at least $500 too high.
I'd say 1000, 1800 is high even for a mid 90s Hypalon raft. I have a friend looking for a used Aire but would not go more than 1000 for this based on what else is on the market in that price range. Gear sounds nice but like you said it is 20 year old high end gear, but, if the frame and box are in good shape they should be as good as new.
This is why it is called the FREE market. People are willing to pay more for things now than they cost originally. Look at the VW Campmobiles AKA: Westfalia from 1984 to 1991. They are selling for the same price or more now than when they were new. (I dispute that the boat was $1800 in 1996). If people are willing to pay a price, then that is what the price is. Demand for used boats is high, while supply of quality used boats is low. I think he can get $3000 for the package. Good for him if he does. I see used Super Pumas from 2000 (just like mine) that are selling for 4 to 5K in the swap, on CL, etc. Hell, I'm looking for an Aire 156E right now, and can't find one used at all. If I found an outfitter / used boat for under 3K, I'd buy it tomorrow, but as the popularity of rafting increases, so does the price of used boats. I would rather have a used high end boat than a new "poverty" boat. btw, it's an Aire, so it is PVC.

To the naysayers, show me 2 outfitter quality round self bailing boats (not cats, not tributary, baltic, saturn, canyon, "poverty", ...) with complete packages for under $3000. You can use any source for this. MB Swap, CL, NRS swap...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
20 years ago that boat was $1800. This mentality is why I bought a new raft.
No, in '96 I worked for a fishing outfitter, we bought a new 143D via NRS for a friend and our cost was $2600, that was 15% off retail. So the boat retailed for around $3K +/- a few hundred. At the same time a Hyside 156 ran over $5k, basically the same price they are now. I think the prices suggested above are reasonable and as brendodendo states, they're really worth whatever someone will pay for them, whether you like it our not. Boats in particular seem to hold their value. I see 6-7 year old driftboats around here sell for more than they did when they were new. These are heavily used boats...why because new boats have doubled in that time and the only affordable option is to go used, and get rapped in the process.

Obviously bucketboater you made a decision to go new, at least part of your decision was based on your distaste for the used market prices, I agree. That's why I went new too. The market is what it is, whether you like it or not. On the good side, if you get tired of stylin' class 5's in your new boat you can get more out of it when you sell it to some chump.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
I'm an Aire enthusiast and have owned and sold lots of boats. I recommend listing at $2,900 and dropping $100 per week until it sells. It'll sell within a month at this fair, but competitive price.

·
Registered
462 Posts
To the naysayers, show me 2 outfitter quality round self bailing boats (not cats, not tributary, baltic, saturn, canyon, "poverty", ...) with complete packages for under $3000. You can use any source for this. MB Swap, CL, NRS swap...

Ok, I am probably an outlier here as I am skilled at sniffing out deals but I have like $2350 TOTAL in a '81 14ft hyside, a 2011 14ft NRS (like new condition with the exception of one tear from a newbie guide backing into it with a trailer while it was sitting in the warehouse and was repaired by NRS warranty), an nrs component frame and two cataract oars n blades. So to recount that is: 2 boats, 1 frame and 2 oars=$2350. But no I cannot point you to these kind of deals at the moment. These deals are usually put together in seedy locales after hours of imbibing in adult beverages and then I jump on it before anyone else can find out about it.

I would think you might be able to squeeze $2800 out of the package to the right person. My gut instinct though (again I'm an outlier) would be saying that anything over $1200 for the boat and $2300 for the package would be too much.

But I do like the idea of starting @ $2900 and decreasing in $100 increments.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
I'm not saying that there are not deals to be had out there. It takes an enormous amount of effort or none to find one. There are some great used boats on the market, but if they have a "fishing" frame on them, the owner thinks that it is gold plated and marks it up 100% from where it should be. (see the super puma with fish frame and trailer in the swap for $5000) The rest of the deals get quietly bought up by friends and family or are snapped up so fast on the sites that they might as well not exist. To find the best deal, you have to know someone that knows someone. If you are buying retail used boats, the best deal is the one you can afford to buy at the time you see it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone, this is hugely helpful! I appreciate the different perspectives.

I decided to offer it to my friend for $2100 for boat, frame and cooler. I will keep the oars and drybox for possible use in a future cat since they both are in new condition and nicer then my friend is likely looking to pay for. I will let you know if they buy it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Folks saying that something shouldn't cost nearly as many dollars now as it did when it was purchased aren't taking inflation into account. For example, if the OP's raft cost $1800 new in 1996 he would have to charge $2732 for the raft today to "break even". Obviously the raft is worth "less" now than it was new, but you have to take inflation into account.

Including a link to the calculator for reference http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=1800&year=1918

·
Registered
984 Posts
Folks saying that something shouldn't cost nearly as many dollars now as it did when it was purchased aren't taking inflation into account. For example, if the OP's raft cost $1800 new in 1996 he would have to charge $2732 for the raft today to "break even". Obviously the raft is worth "less" now than it was new, but you have to take inflation into account.

Including a link to the calculator for reference Calculate the value of $1800 in 1918 - Inflation on 1800 dollars - DollarTimes.com
But this doesn't account for depreciation or wear & tear.

I think the point of this post is that the $1800 boat in 1996 would cost $2732 now. What do you think this 18 yo boat would've gone for on the used market back then? $800? Inflation on that figure prob puts it around $1200 now, based on the numbers you used.

Disclaimer: 800 is an arbitrary number and I did no research on inflation rates, I only used the numbers from the post to interpolate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts