Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Buzzards,

Anyone seen/used one of these Try It Outdoors dry boxes?

They seem to be a 50 L plastic dry box that is essentially a rotomolded cooler without insulation. They are $150, comparable to NRS's boulder dry box.
I am wondering if it would be serviceable as a light-duty, poor man's dry box. Seems like it would fit real well in the Mini Max I expect to acquire later this fall...
I am tempted to.... try it.

I'm interested in any thoughts/reviews!

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
Heavy at 17 lbs, and pretty small, but looks durable. Can't help but think that it might be prone to crushing without the cooler insulation to give it rigidity, but I can't say for sure.

Let us know if you decide to give it a shot. MIGHT be a cost effective solution for many boaters.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The NRS Boulder and Canyon style boxes are good for splashes, but not a flip. This might be a good alternative. Please let us know if you get one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kind of worries me they don't have pictures of the inside. It gives the exterior dimensions but not the interior. Worried it will only have a foot of usable space on the inside. From the one little picture it looks like it has an upper rubber gasket coming to rest on a lower plastic ridge instead of having a lower rubber gasket to seal against, usually not waterproof.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I would be paying attention to the material thickness. Years ago, NRS sold a plastic dry box that was nice in concept, but made of awfully thin material -- making it prone (in my use) to distortion and leaking.

To their credit, they took it back and refunded me, and maybe others have used plastic dry boxes without incident. But that episode introduced a bit of caution in me...

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
187 Posts
it looks like it has an upper rubber gasket coming to rest on a lower plastic ridge instead of having a lower rubber gasket to seal against, usually not waterproof.
I'm curious what you mean by this. My Canyon cooler, pelican boxes, and aluminum dry boxes all have a rubber seal on just one side, sealing against a hard surface. I would think that two rubber seals together would be more prone to distortion and leaking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For poor man’s dry box I use a Stanley fat max waterproof toolbox. Used it for years on the river. Structurally strong and hasn’t leaked yet. Ymmv. It’s not super large at 23” long. You can find them affordably, however, at most box hardware stores. It has gasket on one side and ridge on the other I believe. It is very very tough and I won’t lose any sleep when it’s time is up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm curious what you mean by this. My Canyon cooler, pelican boxes, and aluminum dry boxes all have a rubber seal on just one side, sealing against a hard surface. I would think that two rubber seals together would be more prone to distortion and leaking.

Yeah I didn't say it write. Most high dollar dry boxes have a lower gasket that the flat portion of the aluminum lid comes to rest on which to me is the ultimate seal. Your coolers are going to be much more rigid than this box. Any warping of the lid (or someone sits on it) my guess is that waterproof seal is done.

·
Registered
823 Posts
No such thing as a waterproof dry box unless it's an ammo can or Pelican/similar. And the bigger the box, the less likely it is to be waterproof... (A) Don't flip, and (B) anything truly ruined if it gets wet goes in a dry bag or Pelican/knockoff.

Supposed to arrive tomorrow, we shall see. Intend to use as captain's boxes on floor of 16' Trib I'm building. Impressions to follow, not concerned about gasket/seal issues, do hope they are at least strong enough to stand on...

·
Registered
823 Posts
Apologies for delay. So I need to get some photos, but the box IS strong, well-made, you can stand on it (at least I can, 175#, shows no signs of fatigue), and the seal is plenty waterproof. The gasket is stout, hard rubber and the fit when you latch is tight. I don't have a way to submerge it but suspect it would be watertight, at least while "new."

The downsides are the "corrugated" construction wastes space, so the inside dimensions are considerably reduced. The lip at the top knocks another couple inches off the longest item you can load. As a cooler (it has a drain...) it might work for a day or max. overnight but there is no insulation, just the thick plastic. As a drybox it is easy to open, the latches are strong and easy to operate (even with gloves), and you can lock it. There's no "bear-proof" claim but it would stand up well, I think.

I bought for sideboxes (aka "captain's boxes") in boat I'm building & it fits nicely. The reduced height (13.75") means it will stay nearly flush with side decks, which means with a footwell bridge you can throw a pad over and sleep on it. I only have 42" between tubes to work with for center to center, so the 13.75" width (X2 boxes) leaves me 14"+ in the footwell, which is great.

I wish it was slab-sided like an aluminum box. But it wouldn't be as strong... I love the weight, holds approximately what two ammos (20's) would but half the weight. Looks like it will be totally dry except in a flip, and it's certainly easy to open&close. Just for rafting, I would go aluminum shoebox if space is critical, but for multi-purpose use these are stackable and a good size for my aging back... On my boat, one will be kitchen - so come off every night - and one will be "personal." Apparently good choice for that: you can get a giant cutting board AND a griddle in with plenty of room for the rest, and the handles make it easy to carry. Decent product, strong, time will tell how it holds up (UV)...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the thorough review B4otter!

I noticed that the price is now $190 on both their website and Amazon...

·
Registered
823 Posts
I've got various square buckets and I can get two 4 gallon in easily, looks like they fill about 2/3 the space so I'm guessing the claimed 50 liters is pretty accurate. I also have several 50l drybags, I'll grab 'em and see how they stuff in... but just an informed guess, been dealing with volumes for quite a while, 50l is accurate. No water at storage right now...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought for sideboxes (aka "captain's boxes") in boat I'm building & it fits nicely. The reduced height (13.75") means it will stay nearly flush with side decks, which means with a footwell bridge you can throw a pad over and sleep on it. I only have 42" between tubes to work with for center to center, so the 13.75" width (X2 boxes) leaves me 14"+ in the footwell, which is great.
Can you share how you plan to sling these? I started this thread (Plastic Box for Rocket Box Sling) because all the rocket box slings are about 8" wide. Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts