Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I have tried to get the raft on the water this year has failed. All 3 of us got Salt permits and we got an invite making 4, all fell through. Multiple planned trips to Colorado didn't happen. I was told today that the Deso trip we got invited on was canceled too.

Where is a good place to try for a last minuet permit?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Cataract. You could start at Ruby Horsethief and make it a 10-12 day. But you'd have to wrangle a Westwater permit.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 10-12 day trip would be great, but we only have a 14'er with limited gear. Doubt I could get enough friends to go to make it work.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Deso is relatively easy and they may even be able to transfer the permit to your name (can't remember for sure). Permits available for most days this month.

Go do daily runs on the Ark. Some of the best water in the west right now.

Phillip

·
Super Moderator
4,049 Posts
Check on San Juan last-minute permits for a small group. Flow's 2,300 cfs right now which is pretty good for this time of year.

But then, why do you need a permit? Are you really dead-set on boating in 105 degree desert heat? If you wanted to come up to Colorado, you could go spend a few days on the Arkansas, boating fun runs with an overnight or two thrown in, then head up for a few days on the Upper Colorado, Roaring Fork, or Gunnison.

Or pick up a Westwater permit (open dates here) put in at Loma, spend a day or two getting to Westwater, and keep going to Dewey Bridge or Moab instead of floating all the way to Hite. Or float from Swaysey's above Green River UT, to Mineral Bottom if you don't feel like running Cat or have a motor.

You could probably hook up with a Buzzard that's got a Westwater permit too.

Here's the USGS flow page for Colorado or you could check the AW page here

These are the easy suggestions that don't require a lot of planning, you've got plenty of options....

Have fun, whatever you do!

-AH

·
Registered
54 Posts
Trip options

There are many openings in July up on the Rogue River in Oregon.
It's a beautiful five day trip with some good rapids and lots of wildlife.
Have fun!

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you just want some river time and big water isn't a factor and you are limited with space/people, I'd recommend labyrinth Canyon from Green River Utah to Mineral Bottom...Christy with Coyote Shuttles in Moab is great, its a fun float with some great hikes and big canyon walls, and its a self-issue permit with no cost. Hope things work out for you....we've had the same kind of thing happen with us this year and missed a San Juan, MFS, and a Hells Canyon. Sometimes it rolls like that...on the other hand, I pulled a Grand for next year launching in Oct, so I'll take those 25 days!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Get new boating friends. Two types of people - those who talk about and those who do it. Sounds like you've hooked up with the first

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I bet you would enjoy the Gunnison Gorge. A remote adventure in a gorgeous canyon with logistical challenges. Not that long though and kinda tough to spend more than 2 nights without a layover.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts