Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
years ago i found these great wood trays that fit into ammo cans ... they sat on posts that were taped into the corners of the cans...does anyone have any idea if they are still around and if so where to get them? i'm way too lazy to make them myself...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know some people who made them in Flagstaff. They were just boaters who were looking for a way to make things more organized. They're super easy to make. I've thought about making myself some.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Something like this?

years ago i found these great wood trays that fit into ammo cans ... they sat on posts that were taped into the corners of the cans...does anyone have any idea if they are still around and if so where to get them? i'm way too lazy to make them myself...

This is a great site where I sometimes order my ammo and other shooting items from. Just click on the 'Ammo Cans' link on the left menu side bar. It's right under, 'Military Gear' in Bold.
Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

Check this ammo can out: 3 trays in the ammo can: According to custy reviews, this one is water and air tight!
ZAA-050 - .50 Caliber Ammo Can High Density Polymer and a FREE Set of 3 Organizer Trays 11.5"x8"x6"

Check out the rest of the modified ammo cans here:

- Alex

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Very cool! Thanks for posting this source.

This is a great site where I sometimes order my ammo and other shooting items from. Just click on the 'Ammo Cans' link on the left menu side bar. It's right under, 'Military Gear' in Bold.

Check this ammo can out: 3 trays in the ammo can: According to custy reviews, this one is water and air tight!
ZAA-050 - .50 Caliber Ammo Can High Density Polymer and a FREE Set of 3 Organizer Trays 11.5"x8"x6"

Check out the rest of the modified ammo cans here:

- Alex

·
Registered
420 Posts
Here's another

One more site that I use for ammo cans and other shooting gear.

This page has a few different kinds of ammo can orgnizers..maybe not what you're lookin for, but another idea, or maybe combine a few different ones to create what you have in mind. There's a 'Sportsmans Dry Box' listed here too and according to the description, it's Dry AND it Floats.

Here:
Ammo Cans : Ammunition To Go

Dry Box/Ammo Can w/Organizer Tray:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/1-mtm-utility-dry-box-green/cName/ammo-cans

FLOAT Can:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/1-mtm-sportsmans-dry-box-green/cName/ammo-cans

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yup, It's a pain, but can be done. Best advice......... Go slow, pay attention and don't bend the tabs too far!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have put some man hours into new gaskets for Rocket Boxes and Ammo Cans. All I came up with was that Cascade SUPPOSEDLY only buys their stuff from suppliers who put new gaskets in the boxes. But, they wouldn't tell me who the suppliers were (understandable) and wouldn't offer to sell me any. (ie: contact their supplier and order them for me)

Good luck. If you find anything...let us know!

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Instead of a gasket, fill the entire area with aquarium silicone. This has worked really well for fixing up old Pelicans and Ammo cans in my experience.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
I had about 10 different cans powder coated. I pulled out the gaskets using a small screw driver. Careful, as not to destroy them. Had the boxes powder coated. I cleaned the gaskets with 303 and left them to dry a while. Using a pry bar and some wood blocks to bend the gaskets out just a millimeter. Instal gasket carefully. Use a block of wood cut for each side and a hammer to bend the tabs back in. Every one of them passed the bathtub and fill with water and leave upside down overnight tests.

I looked all over the net to find replacement gaskets and came up with nothing. I have also tried the aquarium silicone and it does work for a time, but is no where near as good as a good gasket.

I'm looking for a can that is 20in long, 13 wide, and 15 tall. If anybody see's something in this range let me know.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I heard the US military is changing the type of shipping contaners used for amunition.That may create a serious shortage of steel ammo boxes! Hmm I'd love some carbon grafite boxes.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Funny you should mention that, Jpbay. I have been working on just that, however, point pressure is not good on Carbon Fiber (I.E. sharp rocks etc.). We have come up with some ideas that we have yet to try. Been working with some Indycar folks who know their fiber! I'll keep you posted!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts