Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting the first-D on treasure canyon last year, Rick and I are being big skirts when it comes to running it this year (too busy working on the next big-D). But as promised here is all the beta you need to knock yourselfs out!!! Literally!

I have talked to one of two groups that I know have made it down this year, and by most accounts is sounds great.

From Denver area: Drive to Alamosa...continue west to Monte Vista, take a left at the Dairy Queen, follow until you see the signs for Alamosa River. After following this road for a few miles, you will come over a crest and see the Resv. and River. Continue to follow the river for almost 30 miles, after the town of Jasper you will come to a fork in the road. The campground at the bottom is the takeout....if your follow the 4x4 road to Summitville (apx 6 miles) the road takes a sharp turn, veer left into the meadow. There is a large open meadow....any where in here is the put-in.

The road continues to head west, and crosses the river over a small bridges. This is the true put-in. Use caution.

From accounts this weekend the top drop (unnamed) is quite beefy, and should be run only with caution. The steep drop and angle of the sharp rocks makes for a nasty hit to your boat.

Special thought should be taken before running this drop. Below this drop the rivers stays very calm, a few drops and you will soon see a large horizon line. This first large drop Boner Falls (Photo on KayakingColorado) is what I would recommend putting in above. At levels of 400 CFS and above this can be run on both sides....

Next mile is great...and fast...first gorge comes up fast, and at lower levels there is a large rock that would peton a boat. Scout to make sure the rock is covered. Immediatly following the first gorge there are two nice 8-12 foot waterfall style drops.

Over the next 2 miles the river keeps a steady pace before entering the second gorge, there is a 20' clean waterfall, unfortunatly there is alot of wood. Make sure you eddie out well above this drop.

The next large drop is 56 falls...higher water levels will allow you to run either side of a large boulder, left side is slightly easier than going river right.

Once you hit the large meadow (possible bears!!) you are half way down. If the first section was tough, special consideation should be given to the bottom (hiking out is still an option), if you loved the top, you will have a blast in the bottom.

After a mile or so of great classs 4, you will come upon the third gorge, PORTAGE!!! Make sure you get the hell out or you could be the first to run this large one. For now there is alot of wood, at the right level this drop might be run, but for now Portage.

The crux move of the whole run is Twizler Falls, immediatly following the 30 foot portage, there is a granite landing which will give the hair boater just enough time to slide into this rapid. At lower flows you will need to stay far right, and last minute shoot hard left and boof the hole at the bottom.

In between the last rapid and Twizler are a series of 10 foot drops, really straight forward...OBJ style.

The forth and final gorge is called Half-and-Half. While the first 4-5 miles have been large pool drop, H&H is long and consistent class 5. THe small eddie half way down (Hense half and half) is your only eddie, and at higher flows is probably all but gone.

Please be very watchfull of wood, the last group said there was ALOT of wood.

I hope you all get a chance to run this soon to be classic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One thing I forgot...Since the run is so new to the colo. boating. other beta and feedback would be great. If you have any photos or remarks, let us know.

Enjoy this run, this weekend should make for excellent levels.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
what other runs in the area are being looked at? anything above platoro res or right around there?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good, from the photo's the level was great (pretty high)....with good weather it should run another couple weeks.

From the photo's I could not make out a few of the drops. Were photo's 39-43 the largest waterfall (30+/-) above Twizler?

·
Registered
6 Posts
pics

Yes , 38 throught 44 are of the portage above Twizler. The level did seem high , bank full, but everything was still good to go. well, the first drop broke 2 boats and had 2 swims, so I dont recomend it. All and all there seemed to be 4 or 5 distinct runable drops that where meaty and fun with alot of in between IV-Vish.

Its worth doing for sure.

Thanks again for cleaning it

Merl

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good...some of the photo's look different just because of the level. Thanks for the update, I would love to get up there this weekend.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Ran it with Chad D this weekend (who posted below but I thought I'd post this here to add to the beta being gathered on this run). Chad posted some pics in the Photo Gallery.

First of all big thanks to those who scoped out and cleaned this run. You guys found an awesome run.

I've read differing beta on the run and had the impresion of super gnar all the way to "eh, it's ok but not worth the drive." Personally, I put it up there with some of the funnest runs I've ever done. I know it was a great weekend when I keep running the drops over and over in my mind during boring Monday meetings. We ran it at 300 cfs at noon on Saturday and 250 cfs on Sunday. We all thought 300 was a better level and 300 to 350 would probably be optimal. I understand that 400 the weekend before felt big.

If anyone is staying away from it due to early reports of it being heinous, do yourself a favor and check it out. I would classify it as solid Class V, not even approaching V+. I would compare it in difficulty to Big South at low water (no, that doesn't mean it's as good as Big South). As I recall the run had three plop and drop 5' to 8' waterfalls, three Class V read and run continuous rapids, five big Class V drops that need to be scouted (one currently not runnable because of a big log in it) and two super-death falls to be portaged. There are two other drops/gorges that are questionable because of piton rocks, logs and/or must make eddies above portages. The real fun is the four or five big drops. They are all clean Big South style double drops falling 15' to 25' overall. Even Twizzler is friendlier than it looks on the photos. Be careful though cause we did have several people piton rocks in Twizzler at 250 cfs. I just couldn't nail a boof off it - it was kind of a big blur. The big drops are all pool drop and easily scouted and portaged (portaging is not easy but possible). I didn't feel the run had a major wood issue either for a run that just got discovered. That's not to say don't be on the lookout. There looks to be a recent avalanche last winter that brought wood down and I'm sure it will be moving around next time the water goes up.

If you like big Class V double drops and scenic canyons I think you'll love this run. If you prefer continuous front-range mank like eldo, and NSV you might be bored. If the thought of running Rigor Mortis, Super Max, or Double Trouble (all at the easiest flows) makes you crap your pants, it's probably not for you.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've got a few short vid .asf files from this w/e. Is there a good place to post them?

Steve.

·
Registered
112 Posts
hey Steve,

not sure about where to post them, but are they small enough to email? i can post them on the AW webpage for Treasure.

bryanhoule at yahoo.com

thanks

p.s. i think we're heading to Durango this weekend - you gonna be around?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Weighing options, but might be. WFSJ might be in order. Will forward some vid.

Great w/e.

Steve
[email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts