Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a few boats from LA to San Fransisco but it seems Greyhound and Amtrak both refuse to carry boats... Crazy as you can take a surfboard up to 120" as luggage on Amtrak. Greyhound package express also have a length limit at 82". A few of us are flying into LA with kayaks (no fee on our non-American carrier) and need to get to San Fransisco where a mate will meet us with a vehicle. We could fly but US flights don't allow boats either. boater discrimination... Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
go semi public in your transport. rent a van. it would be about the same cost as you and your buddies all buying passes on a bus or train, plus you get to choose where you stop to eat, pee, sleep, etc. and you know exactly how your boat is being handled.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm looking to get a few boats from LA to San Fransisco but it seems Greyhound and Amtrak both refuse to carry boats... Crazy as you can take a surfboard up to 120" as luggage on Amtrak. Greyhound package express also have a length limit at 82". A few of us are flying into LA with kayaks (no fee on our non-American carrier) and need to get to San Fransisco where a mate will meet us with a vehicle. We could fly but US flights don't allow boats either. boater discrimination... Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Southwest Airlines allow boats. They charge $75 each way. Does not matter if it is a play boat, creek boat or slalom boat.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What they said. This ain't the outback. Do a one way rental car. I have done dozens over the years. Shop around and be surprised of the sweet price you will get.
Grab some foam from home. Stuff it in your boats. Even those swim noodles kids use in the pools. Use them to protect the roof. Don't let the rental peps see you load or unload the roof full of bliss stick boats and carry on.

Don't drink gas station coffee while you are here. We get it. We know it. Filter coffee sucks.
Learn the American name for your coffee drink. Somewhere online you will find out where a flat white and a cappachinno and a latte come together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts