Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Read Only
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking to outfit an old trailer for rafting and came across this winch. Anybody use one of these ever? Seems like it would be great with a bow line.

· Registered
180 Posts
I have not used one and wouldn't consider it for a raft trailer winch. It is apparently made of plastic and has a fairly low weight capacity. It looks like it is intended for kayaks or for when you can fully submerge your trailer and you're just pulling the boat into position. If you always boat in places with nice deep boat ramps and run a very light boat, maybe this would work for you.

· Read Only
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good catch. 300 lbs would likely be too low and plastic would likely fail. I figured there was probably a reason it was so cheap. I think i'm going to try and find a used self tailing capstan winch. Thanks!

· Registered
Floaty McFloatface
65 Posts
Imagine if that was built stronger. You could use that as a progres capture device for a z rig. Modify and build one to use as an ascender in the climbing world. Soo much potential if they made it more durable.

· Registered
707 Posts

· Beater
237 Posts
It's rated for boats under 1000 lbs and much of it looks to be made of steel and as long as you used static nylon 1/2" line it looks good - It's more expensive than a regular winch with polyester webbing though.

· Registered
147 Posts
my current trailer winch is the smallest/cheapest from Bass Pro Shop.....after about ten years it is slowly biting the dust and a little too wimpy....I would in retrospect have gotten a bit beefier of winch and will for the next one ....though I don't know what model of what company, just not the lowest end model.....any specific suggestions from anyone?? West Marine catalog comes to mind for a variety of options.....thanks, Chet

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
954 Posts
Get an 1100 lb Fulton hand winch and use a 1/2” cordless drill (not a cheapo). The nut that holds the handle on will fit a 3/4” socket. They make a drill to socket converter. Make sure to remove the handle before attempting. For bonus points weld another 3/4” socket to the handle and you’ll have a manual option as well that requires no tools to switch.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Also consider attaching to the frame or multiple points rather than the bowline from a single d ring if you have a bigger and/or loaded boat.
I watched a guy winch his boat by a single d-ring halfway on his trailer. The key word is halfway 😂 Always use multiple points or the frame IMHO

· Registered
6,252 Posts
Also consider attaching to the frame or multiple points rather than the bowline from a single d ring if you have a bigger and/or loaded boat.
I watched a guy winch his boat by a single d-ring halfway on his trailer. The key word is halfway 😂 Always use multiple points or the frame IMHO
I've seen some really sweet sewn or knotted slings with a loop at each oar tower and a center loop under the bow. The strain is on the towers and pushes down on the frame/Drings...and lifts up under the bow of the boat, which helps it up onto the trailer. Someone may have posted it on the Buzz previously, but I couldn't find a pic.

Mentioned in this thread:

· Read Only
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imagine if that was built stronger. You could use that as a progres capture device for a z rig. Modify and build one to use as an ascender in the climbing world. Soo much potential if they made it more durable.
Exactly, the ability to use any length of line is dope. I would much prefer this over the typical fixed length webbing winch.

· Registered
707 Posts
I've seen some really sweet sewn or knotted slings with a loop at each oar tower and a center loop under the bow. The strain is on the towers and pushes down on the frame/Drings...and lifts up under the bow of the boat, which helps it up onto the trailer. Someone may have posted it on the Buzz previously, but I couldn't find a pic.

Not my video. As noted in the comments, I've also started using a 20' manufacured tow strap with loops on both ends. the loops go over my oar towers. My hook on my winch isn't big enough to go around the strap, so I have a carabiner on that.

· Registered
969 Posts
Through sheer dumb (I specialize in that) luck I bought a 30' tow strap at Garbage Freight and discovered it is perfect for attaching at rear corners of my frame (with carabiners), running under the boat and making vee exactly where I need it about two feet from the front UNDER the boat. Happens to be just about exactly 8-10 inches from where the bow starts its kick, so easy to find it. (I marked the halfway on the strap with Sharpie just so I know where to attach the hook on my winch strap.)

If I can remember I'll get some photos next time I load onto trailer, but it's so easy that I can - if needed - load almost 17' boat onto trailer (which has roller) by myself. The only time things get squirrely is if current on ramp makes it difficult to keep boat squared up to trailer. Attaching to rear corners of frame pushes down even better than on oarlocks and cants front of boat up at more of an angle, helps it slide right over roller and onto trailer deck (throw a bucket of water on deck to make it slickerly, unless you're standing there operating the winch...)

Video is pretty clear. Can't recommend this method too highly, once you get it down it's the fastest way to put a boat on trailer. Remember to hang PFD or something on your winch webbing/rope/whatever ("just in case") and pay attention to tension and boat orientation. I use a 1500# Fulton winch with 20 feet of webbing, has worked for 5-6 years now and probably 30 takeouts.

· Registered
46 Posts

Bought this on amazon. Loops on both ends fit over the DRE oar towers, with strap under the boat and middle of strap (marked it with sharpie) hooked to winch. pulls up loaded boat like a charm.

$21 shipped...

· Registered
6,252 Posts
Nice!!
Could knot it in the center or speedee stitch it to keep the whole thing centered..would force the raft to come up in alignment.

I don't have a winch on my trailer (but adding one for the dory)...saw one of these straps in action last year and was very impressed. A roller is a must, but only a single roller is necessary.

· Registered
46 Posts
I haven't had the need for a knot or stitch in the middle. With the tension it stays put centered to the hook on the winch line. Yes, a roller is a must.
Friends always want to grab a handle to help it along. I humor them and let them do it but doesn't really need it. Just a lift on the bow onto the roller bar to get it started. From there the winch handles all of it...

· Read Only
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thread hijacked to discuss webbing slings rather than winches but all really good info so might as well keep it going.

Seems like somebody built what klaustheK is talking about....

$250 and not for lifting, but still pretty cool.

· Registered
52 Posts
tBatt, bighorn 1478, MT4Runner, & B4otter all pointed out the advantages of a strap that pulls the entire boat onto your trailer, rather than a single attach point. I came up with this design and had Helen at Wave Products here in Salt Lake sew it together on her commercial machine. The hooks clip to D-rings around the boat and the ends to the winch hook under the bow - it goes on really quick and makes for trailering my boat and getting off the ramp a snap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.