Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to get a winch post that you can mount a winch directly on top of the post without all the extra speed boat nonsense that most of them come with? Preferably a vertical post as well. I've seen them on other trailers but can't seem to find one.

·
Abron Cabron
612 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I had one made at a local welder. Made a cardboard template and brought it to him. Painted it with some Rustoleum. Got just what I wanted- works great.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
555 Posts
Whiskey I went through the same. My buddy Dave did find one at Harbor Freight a few years back, but ultimately I went to scrapyard and got some metal and had one made at a weld shop. I used 4" aluminum square tube and a base. Total cost around $80.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Our 5' x 12' cat trailer is a modified utility trailer with 15'' high sides that I installed side boards on for the cat tubes to sit on. I bought one of the $35 winches with the nylon strap (instead of steel cable) and took the trailer down to a local welder in our 'hood. He had enough scrap material laying around to fabricate a support for the winch and welded it all to the trailer. The best upgrade to the trailer we ever made. I then had him cut the ramp type tailgate down to the height of the sides and he fabricated a roller from some heavy gauge steel pipe. With the 3500 lb axle this thing has, it will haul a lot of gear under the rigged cat.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Only suggestion I'd have is to not weld it to your trailer. Spend a few extra dollars to have your fabricator make a bolt on plate, either with u-bolts or two plates and bolts. You may change your rig over time and the balance will likely change, being able to adjust the winch mounts location can be very handy. Just a thought...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yeah. Good point. I should clarify that the winch bolts to the mount that was welded to the trailer. I'll take a photo in the next few days when I get down to the storage unit where we keep it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
winch stand

I bought a winch stand from etrailer.com, search for cs smith winch stand, $36, 30" tall. Should just bolt on to your trailer if the specs match. Add strap winch and you're done, cheap. I haven't mounted mine yet though

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tmacc, that looks like what I'm trying to achieve. My trailer has a v tongue so it will probably need to be a custom post anyway, but I'll check into the stand ds mentioned as well. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had mine done at the High School welding shop. The teachers tend to be looking for real projects for their more advanced students. Cost me a box of donuts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Western Slope Trailer Supply in Rifle built one for me four or five years ago, as I didn't have the welding skills or tools. Bolts onto my Triton trailer. I worked with Brad Henry, not sure if he's still there. Great product, fair price as I recall.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
My trailer has a welded spare tire mount just.in front of the box. I relocated the tire and used.that point to mount my winch riser. It rises at a 45 degree angle forward from there- with the winch on a plate at the top. Worked out really well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Bought this from Amazon and works great... $65 on sale when I bought it! I will say it doesn’t fit with screws they provided but I ha e a pretty thick neck in my trailer and made it work!

·
Registered
177 Posts

This is what we normally make for winch posts where the winch is on top of the post. Laser cut, .120" or .187" 1020 steel, or .250" 6061 aluminum. Zinc plated steel 3/8"-16 press nuts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts