Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
The "deck-over-wheels" traditional raft trailers come with 13" wheels mostly. If you want bigger wheels, as I did since I was worried about the long term durability driving to Idaho, Oregon, etc, the 15" wheels are a better option IMO. But you'll require some type of decking over the top of the trailer and fenders since most rafts won't fit b/w the wheel wells. See the Sawtooth trailer threads here and check out the similar Cascade trailer. Lots of folks use versions of a utility or ATV trailer and add some type of decking or support for their raft.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
While I agree that bigger is generally better, it might be nice to know how you plan on using it. Budget, typical use, loading-unloading easily or capacity more important, etc.

You can get by with smaller tires if your sticking close to home, or if loading and unloading as easily as possible is super important. If you're on rough roads, shitty boat ramps, or simply tow it a ton, bigger is definitely better. If your driving up the Clackamas and putting in at a huge paved ramp, it really doesn't matter... One other thought, the bigger the tire the higher your boat will be... bigger tires generally indicate bigger suspension, more material, heavier duty (and curb weight) so balance these issues too. Just so I don't get brow beaten by others on the forum, I'm not saying bigger wheels require heavier duty trailers, it just typically works that when you get one, you'll get the other.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Like these guys? - Versamax series Flatbed Trailers for sale in Oregon - Washington

It really doesn't matter that much, think about loading and unloading or get 14"... Do you have another trailer? if so get what ever it has, that way your shit will be all interchangeable... Personally I ended up with 4 of 5 trailers that are all 5 on 4.5" with 14" wheels. I like it because I can move tires around if needed and have extra spares if heading into really rough country. That said, I've been running low profile 14's on raft trailer, just to keep it low and make it easier to load and unload. We have seriously shitty ramps around here, many are basically back up to the bank and drop the trailer off, tilt the bed and shove her off or winch her on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have this exact trailer(7'x12') and love it. I ordered it with a winch and back roller and it makes for easy loading and unloading. I'm currently en route to the main salmon and have driven it 600+ miles at freeway speed with two boats worth of gear on it and it's handled it great so far (knock on wood). It has the 13" tires and has bounced down gravel roads and rocky boat ramps without a problem. Definitely worth checking them out.

Looking at the flat bed versamax and would be used on gravel, concrete, and unimproved launches with year round use.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have this exact trailer(7'x12') and love it. I ordered it with a winch and back roller and it makes for easy loading and unloading. I'm currently en route to the main salmon and have driven it 600+ miles at freeway speed with two boats worth of gear on it and it's handled it great so far (knock on wood). It has the 13" tires and has bounced down gravel roads and rocky boat ramps without a problem. Definitely worth checking them out.
I like the versatility of the Versamax. I understand the Versamax only comes with a 12 foot bed. I have an 18 foot whitewater raft. I think the overhang would work, but am wondering if the tongue would be long enough to accommodate a winch while providing turning room with the vehicle. My biggest obstacle has been tongues too short and extending them myself usually voids warranties. I figure I need an absolute minimum of 18 feet from coupler to back of bed. Can you tell me how long the 12 foot is? I do have a couple e-mail requests out for information but haven't heard back yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The tire size is less important than the quality of the tire imho.
I see a lot of trailers with cheap low load, weak side wall tires from "K-mart".
Buy the best. I pull both tall and short fat tire trailers and (knock on wood) never had a problem with either in probably 80,000 plus miles of towing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some more food for thought... Smaller wheels means faster RPMs than a larger tire. More revolutions means quicker wear. You see those snowmobile flatbed trailers with the ultra tiny tires and its a given that the bearings and wheels will wear out much faster. I'd say go bigger for travelling longer distances, if you're just taking it locally then its matters less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the configuration I was looking at. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tire Size

I have been running a Triton trailer (8'x10') snow mobile trailer for years now. I have the smaller standard tire. I have always wanted bigger tires as the smaller one tend to have issues with the concrete drop off at the put in. Mostly getting back up and over the drop off. Either way this issue has cause a very minor inconvenience over the years. Think it's more important to just get a solid unit overall.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's the configuration I was looking at. Thanks for all the replies.
Those look like great raft trailers! How much do those run? Do you know how much they weigh?

I bought a somewhat similar trailer called The Whitewater from C&B Trailers. I almost got the 7x12 but opted for a 7x14 in the end. I have a 14' raft, and I am so grateful that I went with the longer deck. I can easily fit my raft and my dual sport bike on there as a shuttle.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Another thing to look at is does the 15 version have a heavier load capacity. If it does I'd go with the 15. Our trailer has 13 and is ok with one loaded boat or two unloaded boat but more then that its no good. One of the few upgrades Id like to do is a heavier axle with bigger tires.

·
Registered
447 Posts
15 no question. Better in ruts potholes rocks.You can put car tires on a trailer with no issues. When my trailer needs tires I go to a tire shop and get a good deal on used 15s. Smaller tires burn up A LOT faster.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I agree with the 15" tires suggestions. I towed a 12' Triton for several years on thousands of miles of roads with my cat and gear and went through tires every year. On a MF trip I drove from Colorado to Idaho and had two blown tires on the way there. After that I researched and ordered the best ones available, can't remember the specifics, and still wore them out yearly (13").

15" car tires with maximum ply sidewalls would have to work better than what I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.