Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Buzzers,
I'm planning on buying a trailer for my raft. It's a 14 footer. My question is: should I buy a 14 foot trailer, or will a 12 footer be adequate? I feel like the 14 footer would provide more safety/coverage for my raft, but the 12 footer might be easier to maneuver into tight spaces. Any thing else I should be considering?

Thanks!

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
817 Posts
14' will give you room to grow and is only $200 difference. Storage constraints are the only reason to go smaller. I have one build spot available for end of summer delivery.

Reactions: Entropy

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I think there are three considerations:
1. smaller trailer fits easier in garage.
2. larger trailer is easier to walk around, and more stable for double or tripple stacks
3. larger tires rotate less and are better for long/hot/fast driving

I have a huge trailer and when it's out of the garage, I love it. However, parking it is a chore.

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
817 Posts
All our trailer have 205/75/14 wheel/ tire combo.

Reactions: MT4Runner

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think there are three considerations:
1. smaller trailer fits easier in garage.
2. larger trailer is easier to walk around, and more stable for double or tripple stacks
3. larger tires rotate less and are better for long/hot/fast driving

I have a huge trailer and when it's out of the garage, I love it. However, parking it is a chore.
I could be wrong but longer trailers with bigger tires seem to be easier for me to back up... did I mention I'm horrible at backing up my trailer, especially at the boat ramp.

·
Super Moderator
3,137 Posts
I have a long tongued trailer with a 7x12 foot deck for my 17 footer. The rocker on both ends hangs over but I don't need a longer size. It's just about perfect.
I did have to fabricate some steps at the corners ( removable ) to be able to step up as my wide ass boat hangs over both sides. There is no way I am running a wider trailer though so I adapted, prevailed and overcame.

·
Super Moderator
3,137 Posts
speaking of trailers, I,m sorry for hijacking the thread carvedog did you get your trailer up from Vegas?
Thanks for asking. I drove down and got it last Sunday. 1,120 miles in 25 hours. I actually enjoyed the drive even if it was a little rushed, but now I have a chance of boating this weekend. Kind of a big ask for someone else to drive, but with the right people it could have worked. The trailer does tow like a dream though, empty or loaded. Surprised a few people going around them at 85 ( in the no speed limit zones, I would never break the law) with trailer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's my 14ft raft on a 7x12 deck trailer. With the tongue, the total trailer length is just under 16ft, so it fits in my garage. I've had a 16' boat on it and it works just fine, but the ass hangs out a bit too much unless you remove the front crank and move the raft forward a bit.

Wheel Tire Plant community Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Backing small raft trailers has been a problem for me. Of course it might be my driving skills set.

I have been told the longer the distance between tow vehicle and trailer wheels the easier the
trailer is to back up.

If I were to build another raft trailer I would make the trailer bed long and wide enough to put the raft in/on
the trailer totally, biggest tires available and lengthen the tongue as long as the builder thought was wise to do.

·
My name isn't Will
488 Posts
My E-150 is about a half foot longer than spec - 15.5 feet. It's seven feet wide. It fits fine on a 7x12 Iron Eagle.

Wheel Tire Sky Mountain Land vehicle
Tire Car Land vehicle Sky Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

Reactions: UseTheSpinMove

·
Registered
627 Posts
I use a 9x5 utility trailer with a homemade deck that is 11x8 With this I can easily haul my 15' cataraft, the tubes stick out a bit. The 9' trailer + the tongue length still fit in my garage and fit a standard size parking space. It is nice to load the trailer and keep it secure in the garage the night before a trip. Or to come home late, park in the gaarge and know the bears won't get in my trash or food.

Backing the empty trailer was a challenge since I couldn't see much. Then I found these handy devices... highly recommended. Makes hitching up solo a breeze.

·
Registered
Classic (antique?) Maravia 14’
41 Posts
One thing to consider that I have shared in other threads is whether or not your deflated boat can reach the ground. I had a boat deflate coming down a mountain pass in the dark, and each bump the back of the boat was rubbing on the pavement. Luckily no major damage, but a few more miles or a little more deflated could have been catastrophic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a 5' x 10' utility trailer with a 14' raft on removable platforms
Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

The boat does hang about 2' off each end, but it wouldn't be touching even if there was trailer there because of the rocker in the tubes.

817 Posts
I spy a new roller. How was the instal process? Looks great!!!

Reactions: Bbfozzy

·
Registered
552 Posts
Here's my trailer. Only a 8' flat area for my 14' boat. No need to support the rocker. If I had more space I'd have a larger trailer though. You need to be careful how you load a small trailer to get enough tongue weight but it is farther forward then it needs to be in this pic.

Cloud Wheel Sky Tire Vehicle

1 - 20 of 37 Posts