Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size trailer would I need for a 13 foot raft?

Would I do fine with an 8x5?

Anyone in CO have one for sale?

Thanks!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Is it a flat bed or utility style? I'd think you would be okay if you can use some planks to widen the trailer. It okay for the raft to extend a couple feet bow/Stern but I wouldn't want my boat to be wider than the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Fuzzie. Those look great. I was hoping to pick up a used one for under $1k. Don't mind putting some work into one if needed either.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My current trailer is a 5x8 utility trailer with a 7x11 platform on top, plenty wide and long for my 13'. All told I'm into it less than $700, including a new axle, tires, wiring, and decking materials.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread to get everyone's take a potential trailer I'm looking at. We have a 14' RMR. Outside tube to tube dimension is 7'1" and the flat bottom area is roughly 10'. There's a great deal on a 6.5' x 8' aluminum flatbed in great shape. Worth it or is this just going to be awkward and lead to raft abuse? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Just make sure there is enough tongue to ensure you can get the weight forward of the axle while also maintaining enough clearance between boat and vehicle to allow for popping a hatch or tailgate.

·
Registered
210 Posts
All I can say is don't go too cheap on a trailer, a good trailer is well worth the money. Just not having to worry about it is key. Especially if you take long road trips. I wouldn't recommend less than 6X10.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I agree with Treswright3 that cheap trailers are a false savings. I own two trailers, a no-name 5x9 utility trailer and a drift boat trailer by Baker Trailers.

Over 10 years I have done zero maintenance on the Baker Trailer.
The utility trailer however has needed...
1. New wheel bearings, both sides.
2. Repainting once due to extensive rust.
3. New 2x6 wood floor since the non-treated raw pine rotted out.
4. New lights and wiring harness, original one was just stapled to the underside and road gravel cut it to pieces. Lights NEVER worked well, poor ground.
5. Weld repair when the tongue fell out! (bad welds, broken low grade bolt)

In hind sight I would be several hundred dollars ahead if I had purchased a better utility trailer from the get go. Not including the hassle of road side break downs and overall reliability. That tongue fell out during a trip, fortunately I wasn't on the highway at the time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hear you. Photo attached, doesn't seem like a completely budget trailer. The tongue is ~3.5'. Seems like with a 14' raft this is going to be less than ideal. Thoughts? You guys are the experts...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've been trying to find someone in CO to build a sawtooth type trailer. So far I've only checked with a few places on the Front Range.

Does anyone know someone in CO that will make a sawtooth type trailer??

·
Definite maybe
668 Posts
Why is there a jack on that little trailer? That's right where you need to strap the bow. I'm sure you can lift that tongue by hand just fine.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I would replace the 10" tires and wheels with high speed 12" if I used that trailer. Cheap upgrade for $170 from recstuff.

Just keep the two best 10"ers for spares.

·
Definite maybe
668 Posts
Did you register it yet? Does it have a VIN? I gave up and risk a ticket. Colorado is bullshit. To do it legally you might have it registered by thanksgiving, and then they will want late fees for waiting 3 months.

I'd recommend not registering it. The cops and rangers will leave you alone, they do for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We got a 5x10 utility trailer. 3500# axle added 2x10 side rails with rear and mid PVC rollers, and had a buddy weld a wench post. The rollers could be a bit wider, but my wife and I can load our 14' NRS...In for about $1k
Make sure you have decent axle and tires!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks all. Turns out the guy selling it was a very unmotivated Craigslister so after innumerable attempts to go see it/buy it I gave up. Sounds like it would've worked but was far from perfect so the search continues. Good tips in here, though, for the next one that comes up.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Did you register it yet? Does it have a VIN? I gave up and risk a ticket. Colorado is bullshit. To do it legally you might have it registered by thanksgiving, and then they will want late fees for waiting 3 months.

I'd recommend not registering it. The cops and rangers will leave you alone, they do for me.

Just don't have any Mary Jane products when traveling outside the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts