Mountain Buzz banner
121 - 140 of 396 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm new here, but figured I'd throw my homemade trailer in the mix. $300 utility trailer that I pulled apart, had a new tongue welded on, put in a new 3500# axle, and overengineered the deck. The deck lifts on two 200# gas struts, but could really use another one or two for easier lifting when the boat is on it. Roller is a piece of 1.75" OD .125" rolled steel tube with a couple heavy duty sealed bearings to spin it. I was inspired by a couple builds I found on here, so thanks for letting me lurk for so long!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Very nice! Love the knockoff's - nice touch.

So you can tip that thing with the boat on it? What weight cylinders? I thought about doing something like that but ultimately bagged it, but I'm still intrigued! I hadn't thought about back to front tip, I was thinking side tip, which became my problem thanks to wheel wells... Any reason you didn't make it tip back, like for easier unloading?

·
Registered
564 Posts
So you can tip that thing with the boat on it? What weight cylinders? I thought about doing something like that but ultimately bagged it, but I'm still intrigued! I hadn't thought about back to front tip, I was thinking side tip, which became my problem thanks to wheel wells... Any reason you didn't make it tip back, like for easier unloading?
I have 2, 200# struts, but I really think I should upgrade to 300#, or add secondaries on each side, it's still pretty heavy with the boat on it, but it's definitely liftable by one person. I originally thought about side tip, but scrapped it as well due to the wheel wells. I didn't do a rear tip on it because the rear of the trailer is open with a slide in piece - would've made mounting the hinge a bitch. I picked up a 7', .125"x3" piano hinge from Pacific Steel for about $20 and mounted it to a pair of 4x4s on the front, one is attached to the deck, one is attached to the rail on the trailer. Four .5" bolts hold it on to the trailer, and I built it to be able to hoist the whole thing off the box in case I need to use the trailer for hauling non-boat stuff. No pictures of that yet, since I've been too lazy to finish cutting my cables for the 1 ton hoist I have mounted in my carport for it.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Damn, my traier's not even done yet and I want to do that... I totally could to, got it figured out based on your description. Oh man the wife would kill me, I might have to wait a bit. It won't really be any harder down the road. My deck comes off with 8 - 1/2"-inch bolts. I'd just weld half of the piano hinge to the top deck and blot the bottom to the utility walls.

How much do you think you're top deck weighs? Mine is probably pushing 200 now alone and the boat probably runs 300 for weekend trips.

Edit - one more question... how much throw does those cylinders have?

·
Registered
564 Posts
The deck is easily 200+, it's fairly overengineered because I didn't want to risk any kind of warping since it's all wood. The struts are 36" overall, 20.5" fully compressed, so about 15" of travel. Got them on ebay for $40 for the pair. The mounts were another $36 for 4.

Edit - I should add that I mounted a bar to one side of the bottom of the deck that fits into a hole in the side rail, I drilled a hole in the bar and run a cotter pin through it to lock the deck down. Works surprisingly well.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Absolutely...Neither one of us will be hard to miss! Whom do we know?
I've heard tails of you through a couple buzzards, sembob being one and I think Glenn as well. I'll be playing in the bitterroot area this spring and summer. Probably running a different rig. That is my big trip set up.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
She's done!

Here is my newly refurbished trailer:
View attachment 9502

20150313_191132_resized_1.jpg

And the coup de gras... (my favorite part any ways)

20150313_191215_resized_1.jpg

Back up lights!! Can't wait for the next gnarly late night take out!!!

plus two bonus photos:

One pic of the skeleton, all painted up minus plywood and one of the roller set up.

All told I have about $300 into the upgrades.

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
I built my own out of 1/8" wall steel tubing (1.5" ID), sealed bearings, and angle steel brackets for the same price, except mine is 7' long. Pretty easy to do if you're semi-handy. A dab of JB weld inside the tube, insert bearing, done. I had a buddy fab up some simple angle steel brackets that bolt to the corners of my trailer deck, and painted the whole assembly with bedliner. All told the whole thing probably cost me $40.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's not really a trailer but this is how I get my stuff around.
2013 Frontier
Eddyout frame and boxes
my buddy's cooler
Aire 143R rolled up in the rower bay
Misc. stuff

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used those, purchased through McMaster. I have 3 total running the width of my trailer with the matching mounts. Epoxied PVC pipe endcaps to the ends to keep the boat from snagging on the exposed axle of the roller. They work GREAT, and I think all in cost me ~$120. Gotta go take pics of my trailer now and post up...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here is my rig. It started life as a 10'x8' snowmobile trailer. I've put on larger tires/wheels. After a good lesson last fall I carry a spare hub/bearing assembly built into my winch post that holds the spare tire. The winch post is the old tongue. When I bought the 16' I needed to lengthen the tongue so I bought a new piece of steel tubing the correct length ( 3' longer than the old one) Then cut down the old tongue to fit as a winch post. I went pretty long with it (4') because of the tilt bed. I welded it to a plate and used U bolts to hold it to the tongue. Im glad I didn't weld the winch post to the tongue as there was some tweaking involved to find the right spot with the tilt bed. I found the winch at a garage sale, new in the box for $5. I then removed the original plywood and went with grey TREX decking. Lowes had it on sale for 10% off so it was only $60 more than plywood and I never have to replace it. The raft seems to slide better on it as well. Bought the roller from Rifle Truck and Trailer for $150, I wish I would have installed a roller years ago. Worth every penny. Lastly I've replaced the lights with LEDs so those should last a while as well.

Happy Floating!

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1458101543.842653.jpg ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1458101556.292643.jpg ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1458101575.230373.jpg ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1458101586.545252.jpg ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1458101596.578702.jpg
Paul7,
Here are the pics of my trailer. Aluminum decks that can be raised another 12". That way I can fit a lot more gear underneath. Tailgate folds down for access as well as a small side door. Lots of tied own points/steps to climb up.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
97 Posts
121 - 140 of 396 Posts