Mountain Buzz banner

341 - 351 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use plastic Lattice from Home Creepo. Boat slides like a dream and no sand stuck in it.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
[
MT4Runner-- Thanks again for the suggestions. We are going to reinforce in front of the new bulkhead. Any other clever ideas for gear access or control? I woke up thinking, "Man, If I have all the gear loaded up under the boat and then I back it into the water, what the best way to keep it from sliding down into the water?" Of course, I could use straps but I was trying to think around the problem. I know, I know, I should have better dreams.

TIA
An expanded metal “tailgate” under the rollers?

I use plastic Lattice from Home Creepo. Boat slides like a dream and no sand stuck in it.
Brilliant.

I put carpet on my trailer deck for hauling my dory; worked great for loading at home and unloading at the river. Got home after driving through a rainstorm, carpet was wet and it was a bitch to unload!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Fantasy Trailer Build Complete...Almost

Hey Buzz,

I just wanted to pass along the final photos of my now tested fantasy trailer. WhitewaterSpoon and I teamed up to make this trailer a reality. I mentioned it before but I was inspired by trailers with rollers built into the deck of the trailer. However, I wanted a trailer that could be used as a trailer as well. That's what made me go in this direction. With almost 4 ft between the tube platforms, I can still haul household appliances, loads of gravel, couches, etc. WhitewaterSpoons bomber design is indestructible but not crazy heavy. We easily moved the platforms. They feel incredibly solid. We took MT4Runners advice and reinforced the front of the trailer where the motorcycle shuttle vehicle will ride. The platforms can accommodate a number of standard raft widths. Unloading and loading had been very easy. I'd say we could lower the platforms slightly for the next build. They still don't feel too tall. I have tested at Pumphouse, rancho, Ruby Mtn, and Wilderness Aware. I'm very happy with the outcome. I'm not patenting the design. ;)

The final step is to add lockable storage int he front bulkhead. I have a secret design for that. I'll share it when it's complete. I'll also post a video of loading and unloading. Spolier alert, it is smooooth.

If you would like WhitewaterSpoon to build you a trailer like this, please reach out to him at: [email protected]

We had a ton of fun working on this unique project.

--Other Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fantastic work!

Hey Buzz,

I just wanted to pass along the final photos of my now tested fantasy trailer. WhitewaterSpoon and I teamed up to make this trailer a reality. I mentioned it before but I was inspired by trailers with rollers built into the deck of the trailer. However, I wanted a trailer that could be used as a trailer as well. That's what made me go in this direction. With almost 4 ft between the tube platforms, I can still haul household appliances, loads of gravel, couches, etc. WhitewaterSpoons bomber design is indestructible but not crazy heavy. We easily moved the platforms. They feel incredibly solid. We took MT4Runners advice and reinforced the front of the trailer where the motorcycle shuttle vehicle will ride. The platforms can accommodate a number of standard raft widths. Unloading and loading had been very easy. I'd say we could lower the platforms slightly for the next build. They still don't feel too tall. I have tested at Pumphouse, rancho, Ruby Mtn, and Wilderness Aware. I'm very happy with the outcome. I'm not patenting the design. ;)

The final step is to add lockable storage int he front bulkhead. I have a secret design for that. I'll share it when it's complete. I'll also post a video of loading and unloading. Spolier alert, it is smooooth.

If you would like WhitewaterSpoon to build you a trailer like this, please reach out to him at: [email protected]

We had a ton of fun working on this unique project.

--Other Josh

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
Other Josh, you took out at Ruby Mtn on Sunday, yes? I'm the schmo in the grey JPW cat that walked over to tap your oar back on the boat while you were loading and also inquired about your boat's length.

The trailer looks bomber.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Seen at the boat ramp. The first one has PVC over steel steel pipe. The PVC is cut in 2 foot lengths with the joining edges sanded. It rolled pretty smooth. The second was a very interesting DIY that seems to get the job done admirably, if not beautifully.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had to share. I bought this trailer hitch coupler from Saskatchewan on the Internet, and it's the best raft trailer coupler I ever had. Easy to hook up to, beat it up on any gravel washboard you want, nothing to jam up. Just drop it over, and put in the big ass steel pin, no fingers, screwdrivers or hammers needed, ever.

341 - 351 of 351 Posts