Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

End of last season I knocked off my license plate for my trailer. It's one of the All American trailers from Denver, which although nice, put the license plate mount in a crappy spot (just behind left wheel fender, under the tail/blinker light). I tipped the trailer up to move it enough times that it bent the mount and finally the license plate ripped off on my last trip.

Anyways, plate is replaced, but I'm thinking about moving it to a more practical spot. I was thinking about bolting it right to the wheel fender. I'd like to stay compliant with the law, does anyone know the regs on this? I thought you had to have it illuminated at night? In which case I'd have to rig some new lighting... Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
I see trailers with the plates wrapped around the fenders. Usually on Fishing Guide Boats. Don't know if it's legal but it seems popular.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
What's a license plate? This is Oregon.
I know what you mean. Some time I forget to put a plate on my trailer and I've never been stopped but that shouldn't be a problem in the feature because I'm selling my other trailer that shares the same plate. Don't ask, don't tell.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I will probably wrap mine on the fender eventually, but I did ask the office that inspected my trailer if that was legal. He said "no" but it ultimately is up to the officer that sees it or decides to enforce it. He thought the same lousy placement should be fine unless you are 4wheeling with it...which I think some boat ramps and especially hunting qualify for.

So based on that, I will probably do it after it has been banged up a bit more, so i have a bit more justification should I ever get stopped for it.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
"Fortunately we don't get all the government we pay for."--- Will Rogers

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Never miss a good chance to shut up.
Will Rogers.

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself

·
Registered
138 Posts
importance of plates

I'll tell ya from first hand experience of the importance of plates. Current, visible and well lit. You must have good trailer lights too! All of them.
The fuzz in utah and idaho will pull you over if the lights on the trailer are out. Do not mess around in the West.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Have been pulled over for non-working lights several times(twice on one trip), expired plates once, but no mention of plate placement by any of the cops ....all in CO. Luckily none of these resulted in fines. However, I now have new LED lights and keep my plates up to date to lesson my chances of dealing with the 5-0.

May seem like a trivial topic, but anything that prevents being put in the cross-hairs of the fuzz is a positive topic in my book.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys. I think they care more that you have it and its visible. But I agree, the more I can do to stay off the cops' radar the better.

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
I'll tell ya from first hand experience of the importance of plates. Current, visible and well lit. You must have good trailer lights too! All of them.
The fuzz in utah and idaho will pull you over if the lights on the trailer are out. Do not mess around in the West.
I disagree with the fuzz in Utah and Idaho pulling you over for plates. Utah you don't even have to register most "Raft Trailers" anything under 750lb is exempt from registration all together. And I ran my trailer with expired tags here in i daho for 7 years before I bothered to renew my registration (it wasn't lit, and it was all bent to hell) And it probably saw 20,000 miles of Idaho roads in those 7 years as well. But those white and green out of state plates might attract more attention in Idaho and Utah than the local plates would.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't know if anyone still cared about this....

But I talked to a deputy in Summit County Sheriff's office up here in CO. He said that they did change the rules and it is technically illegal to have the license plate letters perpendicular to the ground... the letters have to be visible horizontally to the ground for anyone to see it. The lighting holds true as well. So technically Caverdan's setup (the way I probably will still mount mine) is illegal.

He DID go on to tell me that his own brother has a trailer with the plate mounted to the wheel fender, just like I was thinking of doing. He said most cops would not hassle/stop you for this if you have proper lighting and it is visible, but if there was an @$$hole cop out there with a bone to pick, he can pull you over for this. I think he said the fine was $15, so it is up to you if you want to take that chance.

Again, these are the laws for Colorado, so I don't know how these apply to other states if you take the trailer out of state. So far the only encounter's I've had with the police regarding my trailer is in WY - a statie pulled us over when I first bought the rig because the crappy paper plates ripped off pretty early in the road trip. Luckily I had the registration on-hand and he let us go, he was pretty cool about it.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I disagree with the fuzz in Utah and Idaho pulling you over for plates. Utah you don't even have to register most "Raft Trailers" anything under 750lb is exempt from registration all together. And I ran my trailer with expired tags here in i daho for 7 years before I bothered to renew my registration (it wasn't lit, and it was all bent to hell) And it probably saw 20,000 miles of Idaho roads in those 7 years as well. But those white and green out of state plates might attract more attention in Idaho and Utah than the local plates would.
I registered my trailer and got the tag in Utah when I first got it. $50-$60 if I remember right? My trailer has a lighted tag holder behind the left wheel area. Tag tore off on the second trip up to Idaho. Then I discovered that I didn't even need to register it at all since it's under 750 lb. I haven't had a tag since then. Over 5 years and many miles in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, and Oregon. Never been pulled over. My buddy in Idaho pays $5-$10 a year, and they use a small plate. Utah charges an arm & leg and will only give you a large plate that's too big IMHO, too easy to get torn off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I registered my trailer and got the tag in Utah when I first got it. $50-$60 if I remember right? My trailer has a lighted tag holder behind the left wheel area. Tag tore off on the second trip up to Idaho. Then I discovered that I didn't even need to register it at all since it's under 750 lb. I haven't had a tag since then. Over 5 years and many miles in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, and Oregon. Never been pulled over. My buddy in Idaho pays $5-$10 a year, and they use a small plate. Utah charges an arm & leg and will only give you a large plate that's too big IMHO, too easy to get torn off.
Good info. I have the plate so I'll just be compliant and have it on there, but yeah the original setup on my trailer it was inevitable that it would fall off at some point. Securing it to the wheel fender will prevent that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts