Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
The lowest I've ever run it was right around 1,600, takes some good route finding in a couple of the rapids but past that it's doable. If you put in at mineral bottom count on dragging over a couple of sandbars, but there's so many of them you can even camp on them if you want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does a soul good to see old Avon's on the water. And thanks for the stellar TR and the photos of North Wash. The commercials have big donut rollers and a winch, they just winch the boat up the ramp. Would be a PITA for a private, but the commercials have lots of young strong dudes to manhandle things, and have ridden that rodeo many times before.
I worked for Navtec for a couple of seasons. That takeout is a pain in the ass for commercials too. I've spent hours stacking rocks in the water on that ramp to try to winch the sport boats out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On your "Thanks for rowing buddy" picture, it looks like you've got an oar handle and partial shaft being used as an extension to the motor handle, is that correct? If so, can you elaborate? I've been trying to figure out a way to extend the handle on my own 6hp motor.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Use a hunk of inch and a half schedule 40 BVC, put a split about 8 in up one end, and have MT4Runner turn you a handle out of wood, in the past I used a busted cataract shaft and that worked pretty good, you'll need some hose clamps to go around the end of the pipe where it goes onto the motor handle.

·
Registered
578 Posts
On your "Thanks for rowing buddy" picture, it looks like you've got an oar handle and partial shaft being used as an extension to the motor handle, is that correct? If so, can you elaborate? I've been trying to figure out a way to extend the handle on my own 6hp motor.
You can buy motor extension handles of all sorts on Amazon but may people make their own using aluminum pipe and then cutting 4 slots on one end to fit a hose clamp over to tighten over the actual motor handle. Very easy project.

I have seen people use old Carlisle oars for this also.

·
Registered
684 Posts
On the other hand, Dave (okieboater) - your memory is good enough to remember the camp at BD1, on the left, from which you can hike down to see BD2 & BD3. The camp used to be bigger but it's still big enough, for years there was a sculpture garden there that different boatfolk would stop and contribute their works...

You guys both (Marshal) need to get out more...

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
On the other hand, Dave (okieboater) - your memory is good enough to remember the camp at BD1, on the left, from which you can hike down to see BD2 & BD3. The camp used to be bigger but it's still big enough, for years there was a sculpture garden there that different boatfolk would stop and contribute their works...

You guys both (Marshal) need to get out more...
Indeed... When is my next grand invite, I sorely miss that place St. Mike....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You got it.
It belongs to someone else on the trip. He found it sticking out of the bank.
We ran 4 slots in it so the hose clamp tightens it down onto the handle. It was juuuuust a little big, still.
I had 1.5" SCH40 PVC before and it broke first day.
I now have 1.5" EMT and it fits perfectly, although a big heavy and seems cold if it were an earlier trip.
Maybe I'll give MT4Runner a ring about turning down a handle.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks for the TR! Enjoyed it. BLM needs to fix North Wash ramp (again) before I take my dories down it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts