Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric Seymour and I left Jackson at 11:30 yesterday to meet Mulkey in Shoshoni. Aaron arranged a local driver for shuttle and we put on a little after 5pm. The level was around 450cfs.

The run reminded Eric and I of the embudo with some Big South size drops. First mile is boogie. It then starts to get steeper and more substained.

We scouted 5/6 times and ran all the drops til went got to a drop that requires some rope work on river left. This is one of the last drops before you hit the walls and it gorges out.

Props to casper for finding this run. It's worthy if you go in 200cfs higher than he has recomemded. It's a solid 5 at 450 with two 5+ drops. One being a dice roll for losing all your shit and having a very very bad swim. The second looks like a potential beating, It will go we think and would have fired it, had it been warmer and earlier in the day. Once again, a swim in the steeps would probably be a complete lose of gear. All drops are pretty straight forward and some do have big holes. We had some rodeo time in a couple. We got out and did the hard hike out Mike was talking about above the falls. It took us 1hr 25 minutes too do the run.

I would recomend Min flow of 300 and max 600. As the run gets higher the scary fairy would be very scary. You have to do it above triple drop. If you miss it, there is a heavy rapid with a hole that killed a human size log and came out in pieces. The drop will go, but it's heavy.

Great run.

Gary

·
Registered
463 Posts
anyone got a line on the gage? is it available on the internet?

any frontrangers want to get'er done saturday or sunday?

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
usgs.org boxelder creek at boxelder..... force you want to do the full trip on sat? theres a lower canyon after the hike.......already have the access to both ends.....

·
Registered
709 Posts
anyone got a line on the gage? is it available on the internet?

any frontrangers want to get'er done saturday or sunday?
I could be down... That hike sounds brutal though. I suppose it depends on what the Poudre does in the next 24-48 hours.

Scott

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep an eye on the level, it looks to be dropping out. Also if you don't want to deal with logistics/Mike, give Aaron a call as his friends sister owns property at the put in bridge. For a few bucks Kenny, might run your shuttle and show you the put in and takeout. This run can go lower than 300 but will get easier as it drops. At 200 a strong group should get the whole thing done.

Feel free to give me a shout with any questions. 303-949-6880

ace in the hole, double down, rollin the dice, soft 7, pocket rocket, come line are a few names I would have used for these drops. Sure you'll figure em out when you go in. Be safe and the walls are undercut.

Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those names are gay. I don't think you should be naming rapids to a creek that you weren't the first to run and you havn't even run it as far as Mike. Mike and Luke have been dominating that creek and have gone further than anyone and have scouted all of it. If Mike hadn't spread the word all of you wouldn't have even had the chance to run it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great, I'm glad you added some much needed homophobia to this thread. I was afraid it would continue just being a discussion about a fun river amongst kayakers.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Aww shit, here we go again. Just leave it alone casperbritney.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts