Mountain Buzz banner

TP rations

6K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  kikii875 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a formula for user days per roll of TP?

#2 ·
for a week long trip, have everyone bring 2 rolls of tp each.

everyone can bring their favorite (yes, some people have tp issues).
no bothering the tl. (hey tl, we're out of tp!)
if the crapper is out of paper, they can get some from their stash.
the tp is not in one spot (not all your eggs in one basket).

i don't know, seems to work.

bob

#4 ·
If I remember correctly, we bring one roll per person plus 2 extra rolls for a week long trip. The trick is to get the right kind of TP. Scott extra strong....1000 sheets per roll. Those fluffy rolls (even if they're double rolls) only have about 250-300 sheets. I've never had anyone complain about TP issues.
KJ

#6 ·
You can ask people to bring TP but bring some back up. Usually, the person responsible for the groover would bring the some, the TL bring some, and the TP particular bring their favorite...
It is fine to pare down the tp at the put-in. Not enough TP and the trip would be unhealthy and unhappy.
And don't forget disposable gloves.

#8 ·
I tell them to bring their own and whatever they are comfortable with. Id rather have them fill their drybag with TP than something heavy.

Then i bring two extra rolls of the cheapest roughest stuff i can find, just in case they have underestimated their powers

Never had anyone run out AFTER the first trip!!!

Now while on the subject, time to put down the phone, wipe, flush, and get back to work!!!!

#11 ·
14 sheets per person per day (poo only)

add:
30% per liter of Wild Turkey consumed
20% for green chili type dinners
15% for personal PBR consumption over 20 per day
50% for class V scouts following breakfast but before launching

Subtract:

30% per MRE meal
22% if you're wearing boardshorts and swimming(free bidet)
37% for low fiber processed foods

#12 ·
So when you have someone bring their own tp, then you have people walking around carrying their own personal roll around and sticking it in their drybag? Or their own raft or....just sounds cockeyed to me. All the poopy. Once the TP is removed from clean storage it should stay with TP supplies not go back into a dry bag or dry box after use.

That's gross. And if you tell me that you have never had an ... "issue" that caused at least a chance of getting your poopy hands on the roll or the zip lock, or had a TP breach code brown or whatever - you are fooling yourself.

If it hasn't it will. That's why I tell EVERYONE on my trips I want to see some hand washing everytime you step into the kitchen.

#15 ·
So when you have someone bring their own tp, then you have people walking around carrying their own personal roll around and sticking it in their drybag? Or their own raft or....just sounds cockeyed to me.
It's not so "cockeyed." Carrying your own TP is simple and it eliminates having one person needing to calculate how much to bring for everyone.
Try it, you may like it.

#13 ·
Relax there clean freak. Nobody wants to stuff a used roll back in their drybags. Although its not gonna be any less sanitary as the one in your bathroom at home

I've got a groover pelican case whoever breaks down the toilet sanitizes the lid, puts the paper in a ziplock, then puts lid and ziplock in the pelican. When the paper gets low whoever notices it gets a fresh roll from another camper

Also hand sanitizer located in the groover box and again at the kitchen

I would hope your rafting crew cleaned their hands after using the groover --- but maybe you need to spend more time with them working on their habits and less time raising a stink about ours :)

#17 ·
It's been awhile since I've read an entire thread out loud to my husband so we can laugh our butts off. This thread is hilarious. My conclusion - I'm buying all the toilet paper for my Deso trip. I can't believe there wasn't an intense discussion about the different levels of TP consumption between men and women. My hubby yells about it all the time living with 3 girls.

#20 ·
A famos river outfitter taught us how to use only 1 sheet of tp per poo,yes it can be done! He learned it from a family trip with a group of little girls that used most of the tp in 2 days. For demenstration purpouses you need 1 square of tp. Ok here's the trick. Fold the sheet in half to a triangle shape,then fold in half again to make another triangle.Now carefully tear a small piece from the folded corner an set it aside (don't lose it!) Now do the poo,then unfold the single sheet of tp that now has a hole in the center of it.Place your index finger through the hole and do the cleaning job,then clean the finger.As for that little corner you saved? Use that to clean your finger nail.....Trust me this demonstration at the start of the tip will have everyone conserving tp!

#28 ·
When I used to do this demo I would put the small piece of tp from the middle of the sheet behind my ear. Then it is easy to grab with you clean hand.

My 'River Otter' book recommends 9 big rolls for 18 persons on an 8 day trip. That works out to 1/16 of a roll per person per day....

The River Otter book is an excellent resource for this kind of info:
Amazon.com: River Otter, Handbook for Trip Planning: Authoritative Guide for Rafters, Kayakers, Canoeists (9780974004600): Maria Eschen: Books
This sounds right to me. For commercial trips we would take one roll per day for groups up to 16 and two rolls per day for bigger groups. But it has to be the good stuff. 1000 sheets per roll, otherwise you will run out. And then bring a couple of extra rolls just in case.

Towards the end of a GC trip the barter system order of importance is: Beer, Ice, TP. (But that could be an entirely different thread)

#21 ·
ok then we could also get into strategies for reducing output.....so to speak.

One guide buddy of mine swore his outfitter started going heavy on cheese by day 2 or 3 on a five day trip to bind every one up, so they would make sure to only use two cans by the end. Not that is a shitty story.

#24 ·
I am usually one of the people who brings the groover for trips, and it usually rides on my boat (lucky me). So I provide the TP, and all the other accessory items associated with the grooving process (groover deo/chemicals, hand sanitizer, etc.). After being on several group trips where members who were assigned group gear items forgot to bring them (important stuff like propane for example), I would much rather not leave the TP supply up to individuals. I can almost guarantee that at least one person would show up without any TP. I'd rather know for sure that we have enough. Just call me a control freak :)

kengore....thanks for the resource info. I've not seen that book before. Looks interesting.

#25 ·
Bidet Buddy

I've been on a trip where everyone has forgotten TP. The easy solution was to assign a bidet buddy. A friend, relative, significant other maybe someone you just met would follow you to the groover with a loaded stream machine squirt gun in hand. When the groovin' was done your bidet buddy could then spritz you clean from a safe distance. A bidet spritz with cold river water in the morning is better than coffee and leaves you with a fresh and clean feeling. Never go rafting without one of those syringe type of squirt guns, they have so many excellent uses. This would also take the calculation of TP out of the trip equation.

Unfortunately my bidet dream never happend. Someone decided it was best to trek back to civilization for TP while we rigged and ran shuttle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.