Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Houston and will be in Colorado next week for some R&R with my teenagers. Can anyone give some good advice concerning river rafting? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
The water is coming up and the commercial rafters are out. Around Canon City I would recommend echo canyon. Up river I dont have any experience with any of the companies.

·
Registered
501 Posts
recommending AAE

Houston, there are many companies here. However, I always recommend the best and biggest. They are American Adventure Expeditions (AAE). Go to www.americanadventure.com for information. Believe me, I've been about this river for 25 years. And so have they. They are smart, experienced, and first class. Enjoy your vacation here. To LIFE! Cheers! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
River Rafting Info

Thanks for the info. There are so many companies listed that it is hard to tell who is good. Especially when you live in Houston.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your decision will be greatly affected by where you're staying.
I've rafted comercially with
Wilderness Aware
Arkansas River Tours
Arkanses Valley Adventures
Clear Creek Rafting

I'd have to say, that ART,& AVA are MY favorite for the Ark.
CC did a great job last year on Clear Creek, make sure you get Rasta!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm partial to Acquired Tastes. It's a smaller company, a great bunch of guides, the owner is big on running safe lines, and the lunch is fantastic. They do half and full days on Browns Canyon, and also run the Gorge and the Numbers (as long as the water level is safe, of course).

They are based in Johson Village, but also meet Gorge customers at Parkdale, I believe.

www.atraft.com 800.888.8582

·
Registered
786 Posts
If your are going to be in the Rocky Mountain National Park area or any where near the north of the state the Poudre river is flowing huge now, and at this levels is my favorite raft trip in the state. You can try A1 Wildwater at (970)-224-3379

·
Registered
137 Posts
The companies mentioned are all excellent suggestions ones so far.

If you're on the west slope of CO, Adventure Bound is a great company as well. They do the Yampa, Green and Colorado and have been doing that since the 60's. They have some old-school boaters in their crowd passing on the knowledge with great tradition.

As for this season, you should go with the outfitters that meet your travel plans in terms of location, but stay with those that have a good history of doing business and perhaps choose their most 'mellow' trip.

Why? There have been three river deaths this last week already, two rafting and one jumping into a river without a life jacket. BE AWARE that you are coming out here near the river's peak (where the rule of thumb is that they peak near Memorial Day Weekend) which means HUGE water. Having newbie guides show you a good time will compromise your safety.

Don't mean to scare you, but besides the peak of the season, CO is also having an above-average waterflow as compared to the last six years, and not many boaters are still versed at these levels and need to proceed with caution.

Please choose wisely and maybe take the easiest 'float trip' you can find. That way you are sure to avoid the adrenaline class III-V hotspots.

Groove on with joy and love all.

Dirk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts