Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share that the once free topozone.com got bought out by trails.com and is no longer free. sort of sucks, that was a pretty cool resource

·
Registered
47 Posts
yeah, trails.com sucks. Not just in this case, but in general.

That type of information is not stuff you should be paying for. especially because you can find most of it elsewhere for free.

·
Registered
52 Posts
google earth topo overlay

I think you can download a topo overlay onto google earth for free. its pretty cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just thought I would share that the once free topozone.com got bought out by trails.com and is no longer free. sort of sucks, that was a pretty cool resource
Hello All. I am a wildlife biologist who spends as much time as possible on jobs in the ID/MT wilderness areas surveying unfamiliar country for this and that critter. I relied on topozone for the basics:
Entering a GPS coordinate and seeing that coordinate X'd on a topo map
or
Entering a landmark into topozone (such as Deer Lake) seeing the lake on a topo map amd clicking anywhere on the lake shore to view the coordinate.
Nothing fancy-but often vital for me in unfmiliar country.
I looked on the websites recommended earlier in your emails and canot find this service.
Any websites you know of that do?
thanks very much!
Val

·
Registered
195 Posts
usaphotomaps.com. Download topos plus b/w satellite images, and toggle between views. Routes, waypoints, GPS interface, elevation data available (but a hassle). I load up what I need on the laptop and take it in the field. Sorta low-tech compared to Google Earth, but still very useful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A replacement for Trails.com

Trails.com got greedy, and their maps are so slow. I had an account at topzone.com and it worked great, but when trails.com took over what a mess nothing worked. So I decided to start my own site where all information is free in a wiki format The Outdoor Wiki : Welcome to Get A Campsite.com The goal of the site is to let the camper and hiker add their own information for everyone else including maps. Like open source it is the way of the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts